Claire L.’s Avatar

Claire L.

61

2

What does it take to become an ER nurse?

I am interested in possibly becoming an er nurse but am curious if it involves more or less schooling than an RN #nurse #emergency-medicine #nursing #hospital-and-health-care

1 comment Click to expand

To become an ER nurse you need to get a nursing degree from a community college or a university. A community college will give you an associate's degree in nursing and a university will give a bachelor's degree in nursing. Both of these degrees are RN prepared it's just cheaper to get an associate's than a bachelor's degree. Most hospitals will require you to have a BSN and you can get this later as an online degree program when you become a nurse for affordability. When you pass the NCLEX-RN exam, you can work in any specialty. I would recommend though before you specialize in ER to work in the inpatient care in the hospital so that you have an idea of the basics of nursing care such medical/surgical nursing. I hope this helps. Take care.
Last updated Mar 29 at 00:05

No extra schooling is required to become an ER nurse, but experience helps get your foot in the door. I started volunteering for a fire department and was able to get my EMT -B for free through my volunteering. Another volunteer also worked at an ER and she was able to get me an interview at an ER. I worked and volunteered as an EMT through nursing school, which helped me get hired as an ER nurse after the NCLEX.

I feel working in healthcare is the best way to see if you will enjoy the work, gain skills, and make contacts. There are many entry level healthcare level positions and most require a license. These positions typically have flexible schedules which allow people to continue their schooling.

Last updated Mar 07 at 08:09
All RNs require the same amount of schooling (either an ASN or BSN). There is no extra schooling required for any specialties at this level of practice. I do recommend the BSN as most hospitals prefer this for new grads.
Last updated Nov 26 '17 at 21:33
To begin, you will need to enroll in a nursing program and the way most hospitals are headed a BSN is the best route since most hospitals are magnet or looking to become magnet. Also, the school you anticipate to attend, look into their clinical rotations seeing if ER is an option. While you are attending nursing school, network with the ED nurses and managers at the hospitals you would like to work via LinkedIn, Facebook or meetup and get your name in front of them. Also, while you are in nursing school see if you can volunteer or get with your department dean and see which hospitals they have connections with and take that route in connecting with people. Good luck to you and wish you the best. Best, Rehana
Last updated Nov 21 '17 at 18:47