What are some passion projects for someone who wants to get into finance/accounting during college?
I'm interested in pursuing something related to accounting/finance in college, but I don't know where to start in order to prepare for college admissions (people always say to do passion projects..) Are there any extra-curriculars that would help be get a better understanding of the fields (like math?)
1. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): Participate in VITA programs, which offer free tax help to individuals with low-to-moderate incomes. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience in tax preparation and help those in need while also enhancing your understanding of tax regulations.
2. Case Competitions: Participate in finance or accounting case competitions both on and off-campus. These events typically involve analyzing business problems, preparing financial statements, and making strategic recommendations. Competing will enhance your analytical skills and expose you to industry professionals.
3. Finance-related Research: Collaborate with professors or join research projects related to finance or accounting. This will allow you to dive deeper into specific areas of interest, develop research skills, and potentially contribute to academic publications.
4. Investment Club: Start or join an investment club on campus where you and like-minded students can discuss investment strategies, analyze stocks, and make simulated trades. This will help you develop practical knowledge of financial markets.
5. Personal Financial Analysis: Conduct a comprehensive analysis of your personal finances. Create a budget, track your expenses, and optimize your savings and investment strategies. This will not only help you become more financially responsible but also give you practical experience in managing personal finances.
Remember, the most effective passion projects are the ones that align with your personal interests and goals. By engaging in activities related to finance and accounting, you'll gain valuable experience, demonstrate your commitment to the field, and further develop the skills necessary for a successful career in finance or accounting.
Rate plan optimization has to use a lot of Finance and Accounting skills, to help customers see what they are spending today, and provide recommendations on how to save money.
Maria Clarette’s Answer
I suggest participating in extra-curricular activities such as Beta Alpha Psi and studying abroad. Beta Alpha Psi is a prestigious international honor society for students in accounting, finance, and information systems. They typically hold meetings every week or two, where they invite companies to interact with students. This is an excellent opportunity to network with professionals in the fields of accounting and finance. Additionally, they organize "Meet the Firms" events that can assist you in securing internships with top companies like the Big Four.
Regarding studying abroad, I think it's a fantastic way to explore the world and gain insights into diverse cultures. Plus, it adds an impressive touch to your resume. I highly recommend considering this option.