23
Asked 1346 views

How many years of study are for the finance career?

I am interested in a finance career especially in accounting. But I wanted to know how long the career lasts and how easy it is to get a position in a company. #accounting #business #finance

23

9

Derrick’s Answer

You should be able to get a good job in finance with a college degree. So, that will be 4 years. Now, if you want to focus in accounting meaning you want to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), you will need some additional courses. This is because a requirement to sit for the CPA exam is to have 150 credit hours of college education. Thus, many college graduates take additional courses in a community college or pursue a 1-yr master in accounting
Once you get your finance or accounting education, you will find opportunities almost anywhere. That's because any business needs an accountant and major corporations even hire dozens of college hires in these disciplines.
Thank you comment icon Thank you !! Lidibet
9
2

Juan Carlos’s Answer

Fully concur with Derrick's reply. I would just add that Finance and Accounting functions have grown in complexity, becoming key areas in terms of data management, analytics and strategy, becoming a key business partner for the top management , sales and other relevant areas in any organization. Combining some business and strategy related courses could leverage even more the future growth from a career development perspective.
2
1

Kiran’s Answer

Hi Lidibet G. - Driving true and lasting transformation requires a "product mindset" and an understanding of digital concepts. You may find below article useful where PwC's chief products & technology officer, Joe Atkinson talks about key finance skills. Good luck!

https://www.financialexecutives.org/FEI-Daily/November-2020/The-Must-Have-Finance-Skills-of-the-Future.aspx
1
0

Ali’s Answer

Hi Lidibet!

A career in finance is a challenging path with lots of competition, so you have to make sure to qualify enough with knowledge and experience to compete at a high level and possess a rewarding job in the field. A minimum will be a 4-year bachelor degree in finance or accounting, in addition, a CPA/CFA professional certificate will place you well ahead in the game. These professional certificates will require additional courses like a masters degree and/or couple years of experience in the field. The more you qualify, the less challenging the competition becomes as employers can see the substantial value you can bring to the table. Hope this helps answering your query.
0
0

Jarenn’s Answer

A 4-year Bachelor's degree in Business- Finance and/or Accounting is typical to start with an entry level role. I would also recommend doing internships if possible. Additionally, like Derrick mentioned, a CPA and/or Master's degree ay be very helpful and/or required for certain roles and you could pursue those as well. Often times, companies will pay for those advanced degrees/certifications.
0
0

Alexandra’s Answer

You can consider a graduate degree such as an MBA, Masters of Accounting/Taxation or an MFA. However, you should be able to start your career with just an undergraduate degree. Consider fields such as economics, math, and statistics, even if neither one is your major. Employers like to see that you have taken classes in these disciplines if you see yourself in science. If your college or university offers a degree in accounting or business administration, you can consider this major, especially if you would like to sit for the CPA exam. But you can also have a different major and take accounting classes.
0
0

Emma’s Answer

A four year program with specific accounting / finance qualifications will set you up for success in a number of areas. In the era of big data, companies are increasingly focused on what insights can be gained from data analysis so skills in this area will place you well to excel in a finance role within a bank or another industry you are passionate about. Some companies provide opportunities to continue further education in this field whilst working. This can be a great opportunity to further develop your skills.

Emma recommends the following next steps:

Take a look at job positions that interest you and see what education qualifications are preferred at those
Speak to people employed in the industry and ask about their education, both through school as well as any qualifications gained after graduating.
0
0

Anoosheh (Anna)’s Answer

It is 4 years to get your bachelors degree and an additional two years if you want to get your masters degree. I myself got my BS in Management Information Systems and MBA with concentration in Finance. So even if you do your undergrad in a different field, you can do a MBA program with concentration in Finance. The great thing about Finance is that the principals don't change so your knowledge doesn't get outdated every few months like it does with IT fields.
Hope this helps.
0
0

Jason’s Answer

Obtaining a four year Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, and/or Accounting would be a good starting point. Beyond that, you can obtain a (MBA) Master's in Business Administration which is typically an additional 2 years.
0
0

Just college is standard (4 years)! You can do a CPA or CFA during college or while working afterwards.

As for how long the career lasts, the sky is the limit, as there is always work to be done. Burnout is the bigger constraint, especially in more intense settings.
0
0

Cricket’s Answer

I completed my BA in Accounting as well as my CPA. Having an analytical mind, I found that I was drawn more into Finance, so completed my MBA in Finance. I did my MBA while working full-time, which was challenging, but also gave me the benefit of understanding how I would apply the learnings right away. In total I was in school for 5 years for my undergraduate and 5 years for my masters. It took me longer to finish the degrees, but life was more manageable for me this way.

Though my career has progressed into Program and Portfolio Management, I have always found that having a foundation in accounting and finance to very very beneficial in growing my career.

0
0

Jason’s Answer

A 4 year degree in Accounting or Finance is typically the bare minimum. I second Jarenn's recommendation of internships. They often get your foot in the door and will oftentimes lead to a full-time opportunity once you complete your undergraduate degree. If you're thinking of specializing in Accounting, I would definitely recommend getting the CPA certification. Nowadays, an MBA seems to be highly desirable for certain companies so that is definitely something to consider which is another 2 years. However, if you can get in to a company through an internship and receive an offer, they may be willing to pay a portion of your tuition for a graduate degree and/or certifications.
0
0

Cherrelle’s Answer

This is highly dependant on what direction you end up wanting to take. A bachelor's degree would be bare minimum. From there, either the additional hours needed to get certified or a masters degree (or both) would be a plus and often required for certain positions.
0
0

Craig’s Answer

Hi there,

I agree with the other comments - you would need a 4 year degree. I do like to say that learning never ends, especially in accounting. You will continue to learn when you start working (i.e. masters, additional educational credits for CPA, CPEs, skills training). Frequent changes in legislation, accounting standards, and technology essentially requires everyone to retool periodically; you need to be comfortable with having a learning mindset throughout your professional career.

Enjoy the learning journey,

Craig
0
0

Riley’s Answer

If you want to be an accountant, the minimum amount of school that you will need is a bachelor's degree in accounting, which is 4 years. However, if you do not want to start at an entry-level position you could consider eating your masters in accounting (6 years) or also pursuing a minor. You will be able to find a job with a bachelor's, but pursuing further education will make it easier for you to be hired or will be able to score you a better starting position.
0
0

Nadia’s Answer

With a 4 year degree in Finance field you should be able to find employment in the field. You can also expand to Accounting field and even become a CPA.
0
0

Yasmeen’s Answer

I got a B.A. in Economics (4 years) and then after working for a a few years, I got a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) in two years, full time. Certainly you can get a job in finance with a college degree. It's up to you how far you want to take it. There are other certifications which are even more specialized such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). There are internship opportunities for students interested in Finance and I encourage you to pursue those so you can learn more about which areas of finance interest you.
0
0