48
Asked 659 views

Is it possible to balance many different careers and how does one do so? What have been the best financial decisions that you have made since high school for a steady adulthood? (You can answer both, one, or neither.)

I just recently graduated high school and I've thinking about taking a multidisciplinary career with a combination of different STEM paths (computer science, teaching, health e.g. therapy and psychiatry, environmental science, etc.)

Thank you comment icon Congratulations Joseph, on your recent graduation; lots of bright future ahead for you. Prioritize putting your resources towards your education first. Keep in mind that attending graduate school might be a good option a year or two after obtaining your bachelor's degree. Bereket E

48

3

Joseph’s Answer

Hey Joseph, great name! Congratulations on your recent graduation; lots of excitement ahead for you.

Really love your thought process in considering various paths. As you continue to explore career options, you'll see that most are actually multidisciplinary, and a lot of skills are transferable. That being said, you may find more passion towards a specific industry where you'll be able to utilize skills you've picked up across different disciplines. I think you would benefit from trying to gain experience in those different paths you mentioned: ask for informational interviews from people who work in those occupations, take on volunteer opportunities, see if you can shadow a day in the life. Over time, it'll come to you!

Regarding your second question, my best financial decision was learning how to create and maintain a budget. Having a grasp of how much money is coming in (income) and how much money is going out (expenses) helps you really manage your finances. From there you'll be in a great spot to allocate money towards savings, bills, and don't forget your fun/hobbies!
Thank you comment icon Great advice Joseph. I will just add one more piece in the finanncial planning and that's start investment early. Try to save some money out of your income every month and do the smart investmenet. Tapan Dalal
3
2

Laura’s Answer

The most valuable suggestion I can offer you regarding this matter, which has greatly benefited me, is to consistently save, save, and save some more. Always question yourself: do I truly need this, or do I simply want it? Begin saving during high school, even if it's just 5 dollars a week. Over time, it accumulates and becomes a significant advantage in your future life.
2
1

Amy’s Answer

The best financial decision I made was to choose an affordable school that allowed me to graduate with very little debt - I worked full time since I was in high school (along with school) and worked through school in order to do this. I appreciate that it's hard now with the cost of college but if you can manage this, it allows you to have more flexibility with jobs out of college
1
1

Arjita’s Answer

The most excellent financial choice I made was, firstly, to invest in education. I earned an engineering degree and a master's degree. Putting money into your education is likely the top investment you can make, as the rewards are multiplied many times over. Secondly, maintaining financial discipline has been crucial. I save 20% of my earnings and invest an additional 15%.
Thank you comment icon In my opinion, combining more than one specialty is excellent, and they do not necessarily have to be closely related. Excelling in a profession, and then teaching it is rewarding, and a great way to give back to your community. Best financial decision I have made is to continue investing into my education and development. After two masters degrees I continue taking classes at the professional organizations I am a member of, look for classes on EdEx, Udemy, and other similar platforms. I think, today only those who continue developing and learning are able to stay current and relevant in all professions. Dariya Kazumov
1
0

Ruben’s Answer

Hi Joseph!

You've already made a fantastic financial choice by coming here to ask for advice. My suggestion is to follow your heart and do what brings you joy. In time, the money will follow.

When I finished college, I studied business administration because it was what I could afford at the time :). But deep down, I always wanted to study computer science.

As the years went by, I got the chance to study Information Technology, which really helped me find my true career path. In today's tech-driven world, having a career related to computers or science is essential and will definitely set you up for a bright future.
0
0

Elliott’s Answer

In multidisciplinary studies, it's important to identify the academic intersection. Once you find it, determine your interests and focus on developing essential skills. This approach greatly assisted me in transitioning from my undergraduate studies to my professional career!
0
0

Ethan’s Answer

The best advice I received before I entered the workforce, and something I still carry with me to this day, is "there is no such thing as a work-life balance. There is life... and how work fits into it." At the end of the day, as long as you are able to find joy in what you do and can achieve some sense of harmony in your life, you don't have to feel restricted to doing just one thing. Millions of people have achieved success by having a main job (main income stream) and some side hustles to make extra money. Recognize that there are only so many hours in the day, days in a week, and weeks in a year. Nobody can tell you how to divide and devote your time. Finding the right balance may take a couple years. But at the end of the day, as long as you're filling that time with the things that make you happiest, you can't lose.
0
0

Rose’s Answer

You can accomplish anything you truly dedicate your heart and mind to! I'm impressed by your eagerness to succeed early in your career journey. Start by identifying the careers that will bring you the most happiness and success, and concentrate on those first. Once you've become skilled at managing these, you'll be able to cleverly integrate other careers into your objectives. You'll encounter some hurdles and difficulties along the way, but you can overcome them! The smartest financial choice I've made since high school is to invest, invest, invest, and save! Putting money into stocks and some cryptocurrencies ensured future financial stability, while saving through a 401k and multiple personal savings accounts secured my current financial well-being!
Thank you comment icon If you look at myself as an example, I started out as an accountant before switching to auditor, college professor, and finally SAP consultant. You can achieve any job ambitions you have. But I've been studying along the way (I have my BA degree, MBA, ACCA certifications, and many more), obtaining new credentials, and keeping up with each career I've had. Lake G. Kebie (FCCA,MBA,BA)
0
0

Tony’s Answer

I completely agree with Arjita about the importance of financial discipline. To expand on this idea, when you invest 15% of your income into your company's retirement plan (which typically consists of investments like stocks and bonds that you select), some companies will match a certain percentage of the earnings you invest. I've heard of companies contributing anywhere from 0% to as much as 6% of your earnings, as long as you're investing at least 6% of your earnings into their savings plan. So, it's essential to learn about a company's retirement plan before joining.

I highly recommend aiming to invest a total of 20% or more of your earnings into your retirement fund, whether that's through a combination of your individual contributions and company contributions, or just your individual contributions.

At first, your retirement fund may grow slowly and might even seem uninteresting, like watching a bricklayer build a wall. However, once your fund reaches around $100,000, you'll start to see more significant changes, both gains and losses. Just keep in mind that as you begin your career, time is on your side. In fact, there has never been a decade-long period in the history of the US stock market where the market has actually lost money.
0
0

Luis’s Answer

Hello there Joseph! Congratulations on your high school graduation, and it's fantastic to see your enthusiasm for exploring different career paths.
balancing many different careers simultaneously can be quite challenging. However, there are a few approaches you can consider:

Look for careers that can complement each other, allowing you to leverage your skills and knowledge across multiple fields. For example, a background in computer science can be valuable in various STEM fields like environmental science or health informatics.

you career can also start by establishing a strong foundation in one area, gain experience, and then gradually transition or explore another field.

Seek opportunities where you can integrate multiple interests into a single role or pursue cross-disciplinary projects. For instance, you could work in educational technology that combines elements of computer science, teaching, and educational innovation.

Some general financial tips to help you on your path to a steady adulthood that have helped me after graduation have been to create a budget to track income and expenses. This will help you prioritize spending, save money, and avoid unnecessary debt.
Start saving early, even if it's a small amount. Consider opening a savings account and explore investment options that align with your long-term goals.

Build an emergency fund that covers at least three to six months of living expenses. This fund can provide a safety net during unexpected situations and consider seeking guidance from financial advisors or mentors who can provide personalized advice based on your circumstances and goals.

Remember, everyone's financial journey is unique, and it's important to adapt these tips to your own situation. Making sound financial decisions and planning for the future can contribute to a more secure and stable adulthood.

Wishing you all the best in your multidisciplinary career exploration and your financial endeavors! Embrace your passions, stay curious, and keep learning along the way.
0
0

Lakshmi’s Answer

Hey Joseph! Congratulations on your graduation. It is great that you have started thinking of career right away.
The best financial choice I made was to invest in higher education. I earned an engineering degree, worked on my first job for a couple of years to save-up and then pursued my Master's degree. Education pays you back in many folds and strong arms you for future. As you grow in your career, consider investing in self-development.

Good Luck!
0
0

Jake’s Answer

I think it is very much so possible to do so. It will not be easy sometimes, but if that is something that you are looking to pursue, it can prove very advantageous. Find areas that truly interest you and there can be several opportunities for you to pursue both. it is important through all of it to maintain a good balance between life and work. Make sure to take care of your mental health because at times it may seem like a lot. At times it may not be easy, but the delated gratification may be well worth it!
0
0

Lauren’s Answer

It is possible to balance many careers, if you have a schedule. Having a schedule of when you're going to allocate time to each job/project/activity is very important. Many people have full-time jobs and then other outside activities/ hobbies that they have to manage. If you stay organized and consistent it is very doable!
0
0

Denise’s Answer

I really like your thought process! I agree that expanding your range of skills is crucial, and it can often give you an edge over other candidates in various situations. While pursuing a STEM college degree, I suggest becoming a member of a professional organization, like Toastmasters, to improve your presentation skills confidently. Additionally, you can participate in college interest groups and take on volunteer roles to gain leadership experience.

Prioritize putting your resources towards your education first. Keep in mind that attending graduate school might be a good option a year or two after obtaining your bachelor's degree. For instance, combining an MBA with computer science could make you an ideal candidate for future leadership positions in that industry.

Once you start working, make sure to maintain discipline in saving and investing 15-20% of your income.
0
0

Ann’s Answer

Hi Joseph! Great questions!

Having multiple careers simultaneously can be difficult. My recommendation would be to work with a company (STEM) where you could secure your initial role and then branch into other roles within that company.

Personally, I think the best thing you can do financially is invest in a 401k. If you put in 15-20% now, you will be in a very good financial position with the potential for early retirement, if you choose that route. And if your company matches some of your contributions, it can be even more advantageous. Also, as you grow your income, investing in things like real estate or stocks, while sometimes risky, can really help with residual income (property rentals, etc.).

Wishing you the best of luck with ALL your endeavors. Keep up the good work and ambition.
0
0

Veneta’s Answer

You can pursue different careers in adulthood. You can start in consulting after college. If you pursue further education after working for several years, you can switch to a related career such as banking or unrelated one such as marketing or law.

A good financial step is to spend less than what you earn and save a portion of your income for retirement. Also, banks offer high interest rate CDs now, so you can consider investing a part of your income in such financial instruments for the future.
0
0