What types of classes will I be taking if I want want to major in accounting?
I am a high school student and have taken accounting classes at my school and I am thinking about continuing my education after high school to major in accounting. finance marketing economics bookkeeping
The typical required classes are the following:
- Basic financial accounting – learning the basics of accounting principles through learning about the different financial statements and which accounts are debits vs. credits
- Advanced financial accounting – generally this discusses more advanced topics and may focus on CPA preparation
- Managerial accounting (cost accounting) – this deals with how company account for their inventory costs. This is different than typical accounting as it this is generally used just for internal reporting
- Auditing – this deals with assessment of fraud risks within companies as well as internal control policies and procedures
- Financial Statement Analysis – these classes teach students how to read financial statements in order to make investment decisions. You would learn about key financial ratios that can be calculated using the financial statements. These ratios assist with learning about the health of the company
- Federal Taxation – in tax classes you learn about major sections of the tax code and how these apply to companies or to individuals. In my experience, this is generally taught through case studies of large corporations.
Accounting degree can and will be used in any business that you are involved in. So in my case I owned 3 Optical businesses and used my Accounting Degree everyday. Even today as a Store Leader for Warby Parker I use my Accounting skills to motivate my teammates. Being a number and data person I picked a field that the numbers tell a story. So you do not have to become an Accountant to earn your degree in Accountancy.
Some of the classes that you will be taking are, Economics,Mathematics,Business,Finance, Business Marketing and Management, International Business and of course the necessary Accounting classes.
Each Accounting program might be different but this is what a typical program includes.
Accounting classes include,
Intro to Accounting.
Financial Accounting .
Intermediate Accounting I and II.
I wish you the best. In my case I loved the Accounting program that I went through and knew that I chose the right major.
Enjoy everything you do and you will surprise yourself on the accomplishments you could achieve!