Ashley H.

454

15

What sorts of activities could I be involved in outside of University and Internships that would improve my resume?

I know that there are a range of options that are supposed to be available to students at university in order to help them begin to get involved in their field of choice, however, I have had a hard time finding internships, research or work through my university. What are some other options for a student to gain experience outside of university or internships? #internships #university #resume #resume-building

While an accounting student, I obtained a position as a teller at a local credit union. I learned a great deal, developed time-management skills, enhanced my resume, etc. I also volunteered within my community at the local food bank, local society for certified public accountants, youth homes, church, etc. Those experiences were rewarding and they helped me (1) develop valuable skills (2) network, and (3) enhance my resume. I certainly believe those experiences not only helped me differentiate myself as a candidate for internships and employment, but also empowered me to become a stronger asset to my employer.
Last updated Dec 02 '17 at 20:27

1 comment

This depends a lot on what field you are interested in. Beyond volunteering, which I think is a great option that Lakeshia pointed out, talking to professionals who are currently in your field can be a good starting point. It'll offer increased understanding of the professional landscape of your field and a starting point for networking. Professionals in your field will also be able to provide you with greater insight into opportunities available in the specific field of interest. Many universities have extensive alumni networks which you can use to find professionals in your field. You may also be able to network via university clubs, professional associations, LinkedIn connections, Facebook groups, MeetUp groups, etc. Depending on the types of jobs you're looking into, you may also consider job shadowing as a more concrete option.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Set a meeting with your school's student services/career services, if possible, to discuss other options and to ask to connect with alumni network
  • Research university clubs that cater to your career interests or start your own
  • Research local professional associations in your field via a Google search
Last updated Dec 25 '17 at 12:47

2 comments

Schools Add a schools