What steps are necessary to become an anesthesiologist?

I don’t come from a family of money or a family in the medical career. Honestly I don’t want to become an anesthesiologist for the interest but I have learned that anything I focus towards I grow to love that subject and a job like anesthesiology is something not many people will do, but I will go above and beyond to pursue this career if it means to support my loved ones who can’t support themselves, that is my true goal. #anesthesiology #family-dentistry #medical-practice #hospital-and-health-care #healthcare #medicine

You must first complete an undergraduate degree in any field you would like. There isn’t a official pre- medical degree program that is required for medical school. This usually takes about 4 years of academic studying. The next step would be to graduate from a 4-year Doctoral program. The third step after graduating from medical school will be to start your anesthesiologist education. Your last step would be to get a certificate of anesthesiologist. There are several steps you should take right after graduating from medical school. The US medical and Licensing Examination (UMLE). Here is a link for more information https://www.asahq.org/resources/career-resources/anesthesia-as-a-career/how-to-prepare-for-a-career-in-anesthesiology Devetra C.

4

Take as many AP or IB courses in high school. You have a lot of years of education in front of you and getting college credit in high school can save you time and money.
In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.
Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses. I chose to major in biochemistry because there was overlap with the premed requirements and I wanted to complete my degree in 3 years.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
Try to find opportunities to pursue research.
Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic. Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.
During college study for and complete the MCAT. Devote an entire summer to studying for the MCAT and consider paying for a prep course if you can afford it.
My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.
Apply to medical schools during your last year of college.
Medical school takes 4 years to complete.
After medical school anesthesiologists complete a 4-year residency for additional training.

0

Lindsey’s Answer

Great question Gabriel. I'm sorry it hasn't been answered yet! I thought I'd share some super helpful Q&A threads about anesthesiology for you to read in the meantime:

What's it like being an anesthesiologist day to day?

Is anesthesiology a growing specialty?

What are some good medical schools for anesthesiology?

What education is required to become an anesthesiologist?

0

Estelle’s Answer

4 years of college
4 years of medical school
4 years of residency in anesthesia
So 12 years total!

0