5
Updated 951 views Translate

Are brick and mortar schools really better than online when it comes to getting a job?

I am been curious about the stigma attached to the new university models from adult or returning students who cannot attend a regular university class.
#higher-education #online-learning #college

5

1

Jennifer’s Answer

I agree with Toya - your desire and drive to learn is what is most critical and online programs are gaining steam. Regardless of school environment, what is so important is developing relationships, networking, and making connections. It's a combination of skills and who you know that is likely to land you a job.

Thank you comment icon Jennifer - Thank you for your answer. We need more advice like this, now more than ever! There are more than 1k unanswered questions on CV right now. Hoping you'll answer a few more this week! Jordan Rivera, Admin COACH
1
0

Vickey’s Answer

Regular colleges/universities offer a variety of opportunities that on line programs can't. A lot of that is social interaction. Getting out there and meeting people. Making new friends from a variety of places. Learning about how people interact. It also affords the opportunity to study new areas that you might not have been exposed to before, becoming a more well-rounded individual. Dorm life, in particular, is like settling on a previously unexplored planet .

If your only goal in life is to sit in a small room with your computer all day, an online program might suit your needs, but a "brick and mortar" program can expand your universe.

0
0

Toya’s Answer

Not necessarily. I graduated from a brick and mortar school and I have a best friend who did his entire human resource degree online. He actually was able to land a job in the field before me. I am still looking. However I do think it strongly relies on what field you are going into as well. At the end of the day it's how you sale yourself on the interview.

0
0

Kerry’s Answer

As a hiring manager I don't really care what type of school a candidate attended. What I'm looking for is did they complete their program as that shows they start and finish things. I'm also willing to accept work experience in leu of a degree as I come from a world where I worked my way up and fought a perception that you can't know enough until you have a degree. What I found from my degree process was structure and learning a way to communicate what you know.

We live in a digital age... we have professionals working remote 100% of the time. It's reasonable IMO to expect that candidates will come from online schools (high school as well as colleges) and it would be unfair to hire someone to be remote but have a qualification that they attended a brick and mortar school. The reality is the online school set them up for success in working remote, so that should be factored into their job qualifications.
0
0

Lynnea’s Answer

There are many advantages to attending a brick and mortar school that you will not get from online colleges. I highly recommend that when obtaining a degree all students attend both online and in person courses. A great way to utilize online school that is very affordable for students is to obtain an associates degree online before transferring to a four year university to complete a bachelor's degree. Most of all, you should strongly consider what area of study you intend to pursue to determine what level of education via online courses are appropriate.

0