How do you choose between going to medical school and dental school?

When I was growing up I’ve always wanted to be a cardiologist. However, recently I’ve started doing a lot of research and thought that I might want to go to dental school instead. How do I decide? I don’t want to make the wrong decision and end up having regrets in the future.
#medical-practice
#dentistry
#medical-school

5

Neil’s Answer

The best way to choose is to spend as much time as you can learning about each profession. Many dentists would be delighted to have you shadow them in their office. Spend as much time as you can in a variety of dental offices and try to imagine yourself doing these same things. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that physicians would be willing to help out in the same way. Spend lots of time asking questions about what each profession is like. After doing this, it should be a lot easier to make the choice.

1

Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic. Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.

Also be honest with yourself... how important is lifestyle to you? I know multiple dentists that work 3.5 or 4.5 days per week with no weekend or night call.

0

Gloria’s Answer

Medical school and dental school are extremely different fields. I would suggest shadowing a doctor and a dentist. You likely have a doctor and a dentist. Ask them if you could shadow them or interview them over their lunch break one day and ask directly your question. You will likely get an honest opinion and a more inside look at the answer you seek. It truly depends on where you see yourself in the future

0

John A’s Answer

Try to spend some time shadowing in a dentist's and doctor's office or at a hospital clinic, to see what you like and don't like. Good Luck!

0

I would shadow professionals in both dentistry and medicine. They are vastly different, and you will discover what you find more interesting.

0