How do I apply my passion to my career?

Asked Coal City, Illinois

I am a marketing major and I hope to have a career in the advertising or social media field. I am very passionate about human rights, equal opportunities, anti-racism, and women's rights. I would like to know how I can apply these types of themes into my career in a way that I can make a difference for matters I'm passionate about while working in a field I love.

#marketing #marketing-and-advertising #social-media-marketing #human-rights #empowering-women #social-activism

Eric’s Answer

Updated New Jersey, New Jersey

Kelly Ryan's suggestion is perfect.

Let me add to the first suggestion she made.

If you haven't started to support your passion in your own portfolio and body of work, do so now. Are you part of any community organizations? If so, begin showing your support on your social media platforms with your own brand marketing strategy for your community group.

Don't wait to be active in your field and build your skills, marketing companies, agencies, employers will be able to truly see your passion in your work if you're active now. Social media platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, are all excellent ready made portfolios and visual media can lend a lot of support to your personal message and resume.

And as Kelly stated, find employers that are aligned with your passions and values.

Your answer is great Eric, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work!

Kelly’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

What a great question! I think so many people stuggle with this, no matter what age or what stage they are in in their career. I have a few different suggestions

Kelly recommends the following next steps:

• Look into working for a company/brand that aligns with your values! In your field that could mean working on the brand side, or on the agency side, on projects related to your passions!
  • Stay true to yourself in everyday life - act with integrity even when it's hard. Stand up for what you believe in!

Chris’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

Well I guess it depends on your passion. If you have a passion for collecting cat hair, I suppose you can make sweaters. Something I've told people is to major in whatever your passion is and minor in business because you will eventually want to own your own business doing what you love and if you don't have some business knowledge, you'll go broke pretty quickly.

Chris recommends the following next steps:

• Major in your passion, minor in business.