Kendall B.’s Avatar

Kendall B.

166

3

What’s the most difficult part of graduate school, and of becoming a pharmacist?

I am currently a senior in high school. I plan to earn my bachelor’s degree in Biology. At this time, I am interested in pharmacy as a potential career. I feel it would be a good fit for me. If I were to continue on the pharmacy path, I may begin my career in R&D and then work my way to Pharmacy Administration. From your personal experience, what is the hardest part of graduate school? What’s the toughest aspect of pharmacy?

#college #pharmacy #pharmacist #graduate-school #medical-research #administration #biology

Hardest part of pharmacy school is balancing school work and tests on top of extra curriculars. Hardest part of becoming a pharmacist is the sheer amount of knowledge you need to store before sitting for the licensing exam, although once you get them down, it's not difficult nor impossible.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• If you aren't, get a job at a pharmacy as a technician right now before entering pharmacy school. A technician job will give you inside perspective of a pharmacist's day to day stressors and responsibilities, and give you time to learn materials that will make pharmacy school significantly easier to figure out.
  • Look through accelerated 3 year programs compared to traditional 6 year programs. Weigh the pros and cons, paying close attention to NAPLEX pass rates. School reputation plays a role in the jobs you can land, unfortunately.
  • Don't pigeon hole yourself in to pharmacy. The ugly reality of it is, the job market is hard right now for a pharmacist and it's only going to get harder. Other medical careers can be just as rewarding as pharmacy. Be open-minded.
Last updated Aug 29 at 12:39 AM