11
Asked 916 views

How can i start on being a runway model and what do i need?

I have always loved,beauty, confidence, and decorating and fashion but i dont know if this carrer will last long and i have a lot of other ideas but i also what to know your opinion on a good career with fashion, design and organize and decorating and baking

11

1

Michelle’s Answer

Hello, Emily !

I would like to give you some insight on what it takes to be a runway model and how you would need to prepare. You would have to become a trained and experienced Model, well rounded and versatile. If you just want to do runway, I can say that your projects will be few and far between because it doesn't work that way. Once your are completely trained in all aspects of modeling, you would seek representation from an Agent who will send you out for jobs. You can't tell an agency that you only want to do runway because they will overlook you. You will have to be prepared for print, TV, Film, commercials and any special projects which may require traveling. It would also be difficult in an interview telling an agent that you only want to do runway. To prepare yourself to be a Model, you would enroll in modeling school, develop a portfolio of different photos of yourself and dedicate most of your time to it.

If you are under 18, you will need a parent to oversee your modeling work. Contracts are involved and you need to be fully aware of the business end of the industry. Agents take 20% of your pay and than pay you the rest. It depends on the agency. You would have to work when they call you and even if you don't feel all that good sometimes, you'd have to have the ability to give it a professional appearance. It is an opinion business, too, so you can't take it personally if you're not chosen for a project. Modeling School will train you on all aspects of the business.

You can get experience non-commercially by doing fashion shows in your local area and developing a resume. But consider that modeling is not just posing and walking to show clothing, it's beyond full time and can be hectic and uncomfortable despite how glamorous the finished product looks.

You've also asked about a career in fashion. For that, I would advise going to Fashion School for Fashion Design. Once you graduate, you can also consider being a freelance Stylist. That would take you into the fashion world if you do not choose to become a Model. Try to not overthink this career if it is something you absolutely love and see yourself doing. No one is ever sure about how the future of their career will go. It's a process that you have to live through and up to you to take advantage of every opportunity. Go into L.A. frequently and find the fashion hubs and start meeting people. You can also connect with people on Linked In and follow companies that are connected to Modeling and Fashion Design.

Your other career choices sound wonderful, too. If you want to bake only, you can get training and I am sure that there are baking courses or trainings in your area or L.A. which can be found through a search on the internet. Culinary School would be good if you wanted to be an all around chef which means cooking as well as baking.

For your interests in organizing and decorating you can go to college for Interior Design. Once you are finished, you will have the skills of the organizing aspect of that work.

I hope this sheds some light on things and I wish you all the best !
1
0

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi Emily,
It's wonderful to hear that you have a passion for fashion, beauty, and decorating, as well as an interest in cake decorating. I believe that with the right guidance and support, you can definitely find a career path that aligns with your interests and skills.

To start with, if you are interested in becoming a runway model, it's important to emphasize the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, staying physically fit, and taking care of your skin and overall appearance. Try to participate in modeling classes or workshops can also help you develop your skills and confidence on the runway.

In terms of exploring different jobs in the fashion industry, there are a wide range of career options available. Some potential roles that you may consider include fashion designer, stylist, makeup artist, fashion photographer, fashion journalist, or even a fashion merchandiser. Each of these roles requires different skills and talents, so it's important for you to explore your interests further and see which area of the industry resonates with you the most.

Given your interest in fashion, beauty, and decorating, you may also want to consider pursuing a career in event planning or interior design, as these fields often involve elements of creativity and aesthetics. Additionally, your passion for cake decorating could lead you to explore opportunities in the culinary arts or even starting her own baking business.

I would recommend you to explore different opportunities through internships, workshops, or online courses. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience and a better understanding of the industry. It's also important for you to network with professionals in the field and seek mentorship from individuals who can provide guidance and support.

Ultimately, the key to finding the perfect career for you is to follow her passions, continue to develop your skills, and stay open to new opportunities. By staying focused and determined, you can definitely achieve your goals and build a successful career in the fashion industry.

I hope this advice is helpful in guiding you towards a fulfilling and rewarding career in the fashion industry. If you have any further questions or need additional guidance, please feel free to reach out.
Best regards,
Jennifer
0
0

Nyair’s Answer

Hello, Emily,

You have so many great passions. I just want to add to the amazing answers already stated! Regarding modeling, check if your school has a modeling team. Another option is beauty pageants, which seem to align with all of your interests! Also, check for free or cheap non-credit courses at your local community college. There are often classes about sewing and fashion, which can assist you with a more in-depth fashion career later in life.

Jobs that may interest you:

1. Makeup artist
2. Interior Designer
3. Seamstress
4. Visual Merchandiser
5. Fashion Designer
6. Baker/Caterer
7. Cosmetologist
0
0

Grace’s Answer

Hi Emily, I think it's great that you have a passion that you'd like to turn into a career. It sounds like you'd be a good fit for studying marketing or graphic design in school, no matter what way you apply that to your passions. I would do some research into those programs and what schools offer exit opportunities that align with your dreams. If you decide to get a fine arts degree, I would recommend minoring in business as you will have to market yourself/your work after graduating. Journalism may be another route you could take. Although print magazines are a dying form of media, traditional print fashion magazines like Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, or Vanity Fair have digital media branches that could be interesting for you. I think it is very important to mention that a career in the arts often involves a lot of struggles and a lot of jobs that are very far from your dream job. If you truly have a passion for it and the resources to stay afloat, it may be worth it for you, but that's also why I recommend getting a minor in business or something non-arts related to fall back on or utilize to get a job while you're working on modeling.

In the meantime, I think it would be wise to work on your social media accounts. It can be hard to build a portfolio with no experience/connections, but your social media pages provide a great way to present yourself to future employers. Also, do some photoshoots by yourself or with your friends to get comfortable in front of the camera and see what you're good at. If you want to test the waters with graphic design, look at freelance sites like fiverr and see what projects you can work on there. If you are in student organizations, run for the officer position that manages the social media account. Take any opportunity you can get to work your creative muscles and create an end product you could show to a potential employer to demonstrate your abilities. Having a passion provides a great motivator and sincerely that is something to be proud of, good luck!
0
0

Pamela’s Answer

I began as a runway model for Ford Models and the opportunities are few and far between. I’d recommend diversifying your experiences and interning in as many fields including interior design, a fashion house, and a bakery like Central Bakery, which is well known coast-to-coast. Good luck!
0