Should I take a certification for my second language in order to stay competitive?

112

I am bilingual but not incredibly strong at the writing or reading side of the language. I wanted to know if this would be putting me at a disadvantage and if I should take initiative to take a certification to prove my skills.

#foreign-languages #careers #internships #evaluating-resumes #resume #skills

112

Fiona’s Answer

0
Knowing another language will always make you stand out a bit more. It would be good to maximize this advantage and take a certification if that is something that is not too cumbersome to obtain.
0

Hanleigh’s Answer

0
Hi! I think you have such a valuable skill that not everyone has, so I think it would be to your personal benefit to improve your reading and writing in the other language, but I do not think it is necessary to have a certificate. It may also depend on the job. Some jobs may require certification. However, in my experience, I have been tested on my skill level in the other language, but I was not required to provide proof.
0

JENNA’s Answer

0

The more fluent you are in a language (reading/writing/speaking), the better off you will be. A quality certification (not something easy to pass that you find online, but a reputable, quality institution) can assist you with assessing your language skills and any areas where you need to improve, as well as certifying your ability. Having some third-party verification of your language skills is always an excellent idea for your resume, and taking the initiative to improve any skills is always a good thing. I'll encourage you to increase your fluency level and get certified- good luck!

0