Are there jobs in the Hospitality Management field that don't require working weekends?

Asked Charlevoix, Michigan

I have worked in the Hospitality field for many years. However, the majority of my time worked has taken place on the weekends. I know that I want to have a family, and I don't want to be working on weekends. #family #hospitality #hospitality-management #undecided #need-this-scholarship #broke #independently-funding-my-education #help

Ajay’s Answer

Updated Snellville, Georgia

Julia,

It is the fact that when the world go on vacation, hospitality go to work. I started my first job in hospitality as a Front Desk Agent. I was an agent for 2 months and I took an opportunity with Motel 6 as a Relief Manager and worked about a year. I received an invitation from my former employer to join as an Assistant General Manager and knowing that company's good reputation, I jumped right on.

I was AGM for 7 months and I was promoted to General Manager of another hotel in the company. I knew, <span style="color: rgb(67, 58, 83); background-color: transparent;">I am recognized for my hard and smart work in that short period of time.</span>It wasn't if I would be promoted, it was when?

This did not completely eliminated weekend work but definitely put me in a position, where I can have the schedules that will fit my personal needs.

I must admit when it comes to raising children, I will thank my wife and our 25 years of commitment together.

See keeping stability at home helps ease up work and we all grow feeling socially secured and don't have to rely on social security.

Thinking of just some job titles in hospitality industry that does not (mostly) require working weekends, here are a few.

General Manager

Area Supervisor

Sales & Marketing Manager or Director

Revenue Manager

Quality Assurance Personnel

Operational Support

Part Time Employees (May be able to create pre-hire condition)

Accounting & Finance

and many others that may not be titled exactly as above.

I encourage you to find your niche and explore options. Please bear in mind it is impervious to gather experience in weekend work before your employer will trust you with bigger responsibilities.

It is always best to discuss with the family and have plan. It is also very important to be in same employment for a reasonably longer period of time.

Best wishes,

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Julia,

Hi! I'd like to answer a different question than the one you asked. Is it possible to raise a family while working shiftwork/weekends? The answer is a definite "yes!" I did it for 18 years.

It is not easy. It works best with a 2-parent household. Yes, you might miss out on some things. Namely: sleep! I worked a midnight shift, which allowed me to partake of activity during the day. Also, when you have days off during the week, it's cool because you can go places and avoid the crowds! However, working a 2-10 shift is rough if the kids are school-aged, as you rarely see them. I was able to trade shifts with others pretty easily. Holidays are a little strange. We sometimes would celebrate a day or two before. You will find it is the quality of the time you spend with the kids, and not so much the amount of time, that is really important.

I hope others chime in with the answer to your question, I just wanted to give you a different perspective. Best of luck!

Kim

Frank’s Answer

Updated California, California

Sales Manager, General Manager are usually M-F, 9-5 positions.

You will need to focus on stress and time management. In order to manage stress you have to manage your time wisely. <span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>

Christine’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Julia,

While it seems like weekends are peak time for hospitality professionals to be at work, I can assure you that this is not always the case. Most of my experience comes from the hotel industry, and while I’ve worked in departments where working weekends was mandatory, I have also worked in departments where it is Monday - Friday from 9am - 5pm. If you are looking for more of a schedule like this, I would recommend administrative work such as Sales, Accounting or Human Resources, which don’t really require weekends.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Christine