Ream G.’s Avatar

Ream G.

76

2

What is the best major for Medical School?

I hear a lot of people choose majors other than pre-med/biology based majors even though they plan to take the MCAT and go to medical school. I am currently thinking about being a biochemistry major or entering the engineering department and am wondering whether that will have a significant impact on my MCAT score and getting into medical school.
#premed #engineering #medical-practice #medicine

I think what you're REALLY asking is what major gives you the best chance of getting into medical school. The short answer to that question is: there is no "best" major. I'm not just speaking from experience of having gone to medical school but also been a student representative on the admissions committee.

To get into medical school, you need to have a college GPA and MCAT score in the top 1-2% of your peers. Without those 2 critical elements, your application won't be considered seriously. Medical schools don't really care what your major is as long as you've taken all of the pre-requisites (i.e. biology, chemistry, physics, biochemistry, etc.), thus the reliance on the MCAT score, and demonstrate that you can handle the workload in medical school, thus the importance of the college GPA.

In my own case, I majored in econ in college. I found the subject to be fascinating and shied away from traditional life sciences majors because college to me was a chance to try new things. The downside, of course, was that the requirements of being pre-med and an econ major left little room for me to take electives such as undergraduate research, studying abroad for a year, etc.. I got into med sch on the first try because I had almost all As in college and I studied my butt off for the MCAT.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Your next step is to major in a subject that you're passionate about. Let's face it, it's hard to get As in classes that you aren't passionate about.
  • Study for the MCAT! One of the best things I did was take classes offered by a test preparation company called Stanley Kaplan; it's still around but has a different name nowadays. It not only prepared me for the MCAT but taught me how to do well on standardized tests. Doctors take many standardized tests during and after medical school for licensing, board certifications, etc..
Last updated 2 days ago

It would be to your advantage to major in any of the life sciences,for example, biology, organic chemistry, et al. However,many schools offer a major in 'pre-med.'

You would want to take classes in anatomy & physiology, chemistry, biology and advanced mathematics.

Talk to the advisers at your school and find out what they have to offer. There are many different routes to take to get into medical school. I suggest you explore every avenue.

Best wishes,

M.Scott Fontenot,RN

Last updated Sep 04 at 12:52 AM

The most diverse major for undergraduate Pre-Med studies is Public Health. However, there is not any one major that is the best. It depends on what you want to pursue in the medical field. For example, I am in Pre-Med at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. My major is Public Health and my minor is Neuroscience. I want to become a neurosurgeon. At Wayne State University you can choose a bachelor's in Public Health, Biology or Psychology. Any of these degrees will prepare you for Med School. I recommend talking to the Pre-Med academic advisor first at the school you plan on attending. After you pass the MCAT and get accepted to Medical School, is when you will choose your main focus and direction. Such as being a surgeon, pediatrician, nutritional specialist, doctor of medicine in biochemistry and many more paths to choose from. First get a feeling for what you want to get your Medical Doctorates in and then make sure the medical school you want to attend offers that specialty Doctorates that you want to pursue. All Med schools have different offerings. I hope this helps. Good luck in classes and your studies. You'll do great!

Last updated Sep 02 at 05:13 AM