What are the benefits of going to community college before transferring to a university?

Daisy’s Answer

I found that attending community college before transferring to a university was beneficial to me as a student who was undecided on my major. It allows you to explore different career and major options before selecting one and having to stay with that one because you don't want to do extra time at the university. I also found that a community college can save many students money because you complete 2 years there and then go to the University of your choice. If you are a first year student starting at a community college in California there are a lot of programs that help you with your first year of tuition.

Daisy recommends the following next steps:

• Visit local community colleges and inquire about their transfer center
  • Research local community colleges

Jesus’s Answer

A lot of community colleges have great transfer programs. If you pick the right community college they could have a program with the University you want to transfer to. This will allow you to save a substantial amount of money on tuition as well.

Charles ADAM’s Answer

There are several benefits to going to a community college before transferring to a university. The biggest and most obvious is cost. A university will require the same core classes offered in a community college setting that you complete the first 2 years. You can realize a significant savings in tuition and room and board by going to a community college. Several states have programs that allow students to attend community college for little or no money at all Many also work full time as they attend community college, saving money to put towards their University education.

Another great benefit is the support and often smaller class sizes in a community college. Professors may be more accessible or even more engaged in your success.

A third benefit is that often times students aren't really sure what they may want to really do for a career. Community colleges often have a variety of students and faculty with career experience from a multitude of disciplines!

Julie’s Answer

I went to a community college and then transferred to a 4 year college. The benefit was the lower cost of classes also smaller school and class sizes can help you to be able to adjust to college life. I came from a smaller town and it was nice to be able to transition into a much larger university.

Marleigh’s Answer

The other comments on here have touched on this repeatedly, but I will give my personal perspective on this. Because I had to work 30 hours a week, community college was a lifesaver for me. It provided me with a flexible schedule and plenty of classes to choose from at different times of day.

Additionally, when I began at my community college I was under the impression that I wanted to pursue a degree in psychology. Taking psych 101 completely changed my perspective and I realized right away that it was not my passion. The class was not expensive, and I was not under pressure to choose my major within my first semester of college. I was 18 and had no idea, yet, what I wanted to do with my life. Community College allowed me the time and space to make an informed decision before I went to university.

Heather’s Answer

One extremely important benefit is cost. Attending a community college can be a wise choice if you want or need to save money. Community colleges generally cost less than four-year colleges. Cost is extremely important. Many four-year colleges are charging outrageous tuition which results in many students graduating from college with huge debts. Also, community college may give you the opportunity to save even more money by living at home with your parents. In this way, you dont have to pay for housing, meals, etc.

A community college might also be beneficial if you have not yet decided upon a career because you will spend less money while you're deciding than if you attend a four-year college. Again, financial savings are a factor for many students when considering college. Keep in mind, though, that many students still haven't decided on a career path by the time they graduate from college. This situation is not ideal, but it is normal. So don't feel worried if you still have not decided on a specific career.

Community college might also be a better fit for some students. Leaving one's community to attend a four-year college can be uncomfortable or frightening for some students. In such cases, going to a local community college might be a good choice. There is nothing wrong with feeling this way. Remember, this is YOUR college experience and YOUR life. You should choose wisely according to your own, personal needs.

Also, many community colleges often offer associate degrees and certifications for certain jobs. Perhaps this is all you need for the career you want to pursue. For example, the community college in my location offers associate degrees in nursing, whereby students are RN's by the end of the coursework. Find out if your community college offers training for your career field.

Some advice I would give is to set a goal for what you want to achieve, look at your finances closely, and then make a decision about whether or not you attend a community college. This is a big decision, so choose what is logical for your situation. What's right for you might not be right for someone else, so think for yourself!

Heather recommends the following next steps:

• Set a goal.
  • Make a plan to reach the goal.
  • Think carefully about your finances. It's great if you can graduate with little to no debt.
  • Fill out applications.
  • Get started! Good luck!

Nick’s Answer

i went to community college before transferring and i can tell you, for me it was crucial. One of the big things, your degree will say where you graduated from. not all the road you choose to get there. Also, cost. its so dramatically different. i found one of the biggest differences from my peers and I, college debt. I am debt free and they are not. I was able to use community college to keep my costs low.