Keith T.

91

1

Would psychology and business be a good combination?

I ask this question because I want to become a double major in psychology and business so I can start my own business in psychology? #psychology #entrepreneurship #double-major

Hi, Good question, I actually did this and personally I think it has been a good thing for me. Knowing how to deal with and understanding people is always a good thing, this can help you not only in management of people but in customer service, recruiting, training and if you decide to go into sales as well. good luck!

Last updated May 18 '15 at 12:37

While a bachelor degree level double major in psychology and business might be useful in the business world (e.g., customer service, sales, marketing), you wouldn't be able to start your own business in any kind of psychology practice without an advanced degree (masters, doctorate) in psychology - in New York State anyway.

Last updated May 18 '15 at 22:48

Hi Keith,

An area of psychology that is closely linked with business is industrial and organizational psychology. Professionals in this field do not provide therapy in the traditional sense, but provide services in areas related to human resources, employee performance, stress management, workplace operations, training, etc. An undergraduate foundation in psychology and business would be excellent if this is a field that attracts your interest for further study. Here is some information regarding one of the graduate programs in this area:

http://www.sacredheart.edu/academics/collegeofartssciences/academicdepartments/psychology/mastersinappliedpsychology/industrialandorganizationalpsychology/

Last updated Nov 30 '15 at 14:47

1 comment

i think that's an excellent combination. i didn't do it but i know in my doctoral program, a lot of people were asking for some classes in how to start a private practice and information on the business side of things. i myself work for the government so that hasn't been a real need for me but i think it's a great thing to do.

Last updated Dec 28 '15 at 20:44

icon-country-tags Ashburn, VA, USA

Schools Add a schools