where are the dealerships that need mechanical engineering work? im interested in this career.

Im going to school in the summer for automotive and i want to get in a dealership and work on cars. #automotive #cars #mechanical-engineering #mechanics #engineering

OK for temp. summer employment but unless you have some certificate for auro repair, dealer will not allow. Best bet is to work on cars at non dealer start with simple vehicles and engines, motorcycle, lawn mower, ect, the principles are the same Gordon Hopkins

2

Troy’s Answer

Hi Alexis,

Much like Spruce said above, I don't believe you would need a full 4-year engineering degree to work at an automotive shop. I know that this field thrives in experience and schooling would probably come second. If you have any sort of projects regarding something automotive I would headline this on your resume. This is something that an employer would love to see as most people who can show their projects can show exactly what they are capable of doing.

I would definitely advise continuing your degree as this definitely only increases your chances of finding a job but is not necessary.

0

Spruce’s Answer

Hey Alexis,

I’m glad you asked about this because I sense the need to more clearly define terms. When talking about college and careers, the term mechanical engineer refers to a graduate of a four-year university with a Bachelor’s degree. A mechanical engineer would be hired to design individual parts or groups of parts for new or upgraded vehicles. This job would not be at vehicle dealerships but at major factories or perhaps at separate design centers. Also, all the major parts manufacturers have the same basic set up.

If you’re thinking about an automotive mechanic, I don’t know if a two-year college degree is required or if there are trade schools you could attend and earn a one or two-year auto mechanics certificate. I don’t know much about this career, so please ask others in the field at private shops or dealerships.

Good luck.

0