How does someone land a job on Broadway?

Updated Tallahassee, Florida

I work in technical theatre and I aspire to one day work on Broadway. After I earn my BFA I want to immediately start working. I want to know who to ask, who to call, who I need to know to land this dream job. I want to first just get a job running a show and prepping for shows and eventually be able to design for them.
#theatre #techie #broadway #acting #actor #drama #performing-arts #performance #theater

Kathleen’s Answer

A good way for someone to land a job broadway is joining local theater groups in or around the area and work on connecting and and being social. When we think of jobs we want big part of this is the connections we make with people. A lot of stars or famous people start off small and and work on social networking which allows them to meet one person who introduces them to other people and so on. By slowly building and getting involved in community things you can also use social media as a way to market yourself. Think of you as a person as your own brand, brands market and advertise themselves and style themselves and communicate with others through social networking and in turn become recognized. Th process can take time but is well worth it. I hope in some way this helped. Personally the reason I have been in over 20 plays and musicals worked back stage and with some great directors is because of social networking and expanding my group of people I talk to. I would recommend searching in your area for theater groups and starting there and maybe making a instagram page or a blog and building up yourself to show case what kind of worked you are an dhow you can add to broadway as a whole, this in turn will slowly help you.

Kathleen recommends the following next steps:

• Research theater groups in your area
  • Create a social media account to showcase your self and your work and things you care about
  • Create a Linkedinn account to help you network