What college extracurriculars should I focus on?

Asked Schaumburg, Illinois

I'm starting college in the fall and am wondering what type of extracurriculars I should do. I'm aware of the many types that my school offers but I want to know how my time would be best spent as a pre-med student. I will of course do what I find enjoyable but I also want to know of any extracurriculars that strengthen my resume.
#pre-med #college-advice #extracurriculars #time-management

Jacob’s Answer

Updated Cleveland, Ohio

Hi, Erykah,

I cannot speak to extracurriculars that can bolster a resume in the medical field specifically, but I can give some general advice. I think it is important to continue activities that interest you. The key is finding a way to articulate how those activities make you an attractive candidate for a job. Your resume is not merely a sheet of paper that lists your academic achievements, skills, and prior work experience. It is a way to show an employer why you are the right person for a job. Be creative and figure out a way to make things that interest you also make you a stronger job candidate.

Engaging in some kind of community service is also a great idea. Many companies, hospitals included, encourage their employees to participate in philanthropic activities. Finding an organization whose mission you think is important and that you like to volunteer with is always a good idea and a great item to add to your resume.

I hope this helps - don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck!