1 answer

To be a Dietician, what certificates or degrees do you need?

Asked Sioux City, Iowa

I am interested the the field of pharmacy and lifestyle management/ nutrition. I want to combine pharmacy with nutrition in my future career. I am graduating undergraduate early so technically I will not have a major. I could get a healthy lifestyle management minor in undergraduate or look at certificate courses to take during or after pharmacy school. #dietician #registereddietician #nutrition #pharmacy #pharmacist #certificate #foodscience #major #creighton #earlyassurance #minor #healthylifestyle #management #lifestyle #healthcare #healthy #healthadvocate

1 answer

Alexa’s Answer


Hi Shayna!

As of now, you need to complete an undergraduate DPD (Didactic Program in Dietetics) program and apply for/be matched with a dietetic internship. The internship is completed after you finish your required undergraduate coursework. The dietetic internship can be as short as 6 months or as long as 2 years. The longer ones usually include a Masters degree program worked into them.

In the foreseeable future (5ish years or so) a Masters degree will be required in order to become a dietitian.

Once you complete your dietetic internship, you sit for the RD exam. Once you pass this, you're a dietitian! Each state has their own licensing laws so you would need to look into that as well. For example, I work in Iowa so, in order for me to practice as a dietitian, I have to have my RD credentials as well as LD (licensed dietitian) for the state.

Hope this helps!

Wow that is some good information! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. That is definitely something to think about and keep in mind. Thanks again, Alexa!