If I want to become an entrepreneur and design my own products, how should I combine industrial design with entrepreneurship in college?
I am a high school junior interested in both industrial design and entrepreneurship. My long-term goal is to start my own business, potentially creating my own physical products. I am trying to decide whether I should double major in industrial design and entrepreneurship, major in industrial design and minor in entrepreneurship, or take another path. I would really like to hear what you would recommend based on your experience.
4 answers
Rebecca’s Answer
Below are my suggestions :
1. I suggest to take Industrial Design as your major and take business management as your minor.
2. Explore intern opportunities in your college days
3. Work in the industry some time before starting your own business to understand the business model
4. If it is allowed both financial and you have time, take a part time MBA course before starting your business
5. Start the business online first if possible
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
Nicholas’s Answer
Chandler’s Answer
What you need first are 1) customers with a clear need, 2) a way to collect capital for your designs, 3) a focus area or niche, and 4) the skills to generate leads and close sales. See the steps below to get started on 1-4 so you can begin making money to build your business.
Chandler recommends the following next steps: