Tips for College?

9

I'm going to college in less than a year now, and I'm pretty nervous. What advice do you have for an incoming college freshman? #college #college-advice #college-admissions #help #financial-aid

9

Anna’s Answer

2

Attending college is an extremely exciting time! College is one of the few places where you will likely meet people from many different walks of life - my biggest piece of advice is to take advantage of that - meet as many different types of people as possible. The friends you might meet in the dorm freshman year can often becomes friends for life. The second piece of advice I have is to take the opportunity to get to know your professors. I went to a very large school where lecture halls often had up to 300 students, so I never really had relationships with my professors. My friends at smaller schools had the chance to really build relationships with professors and many still keep in contact today, after 10+ years. If you do go to a big school, try attending office hours and taking advantage of other ways you can introduce yourself and build relationships.

2

Jacob’s Answer

1

Hi, Kaesin,

One facet of your college tenure is totally unique: the time you spend in college is the only period during which you will be entirely surrounded by people roughly your age with similar goals and aspiration and, yet, come from a variety of different backgrounds. My recommendation is that you try to share at least one moment with a stranger each day. It could be a brief conversation while waiting in line to get coffee or a meal or simply a nod and a smile. Doing so will make it easier to interact and connect with people and the world around you. It's something you can carry with you into post-graduate life.

An open mound is a powerful tool. This exercise will help build that characteristic.

I hope this helps - good luck.

1

1

My biggest piece of advice is to try to get involved early on. Try to attend the "club fair" or similar events to see what opportunities there are and what interests you. It is definitely easier said than done, but try to step outside your comfort zone. I volunteered in multiple things from clubs to intramurals and I cannot recommend it enough!

Just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you and everyone is looking to make friends!

1

0
Go to class. Plan to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of lecture. Attend your professor's office hours and any TA review sessions. If there is a test bank, use that as a study tool to understand what your professor wants you to focus on for the test.
0

Hide’s Answer

0

I'd recommend having an open mind and planning to experiment as much as possible early -- socially, academically, professionally, in extracurricular activities. There's no better time in life to test out things and iterate quickly on what clicks for you. One pitfall could be that you try too many things and only get superficially involved. After trying new environments, you can go deep into an area (eg., serve as a leader in a club), but you can think about that after freshman year.

Hide recommends the following next steps:

• Go to activity fairs and try out at least 3-5 clubs and activities.
  • Take a class that's not a requirement but an interest area for you (language classes are good candidates).
  • If you haven't gotten a job before, get one, even if it's only a few hours a week.
0

Sandra’s Answer

0

Hi Kaesin,

Enjoy your time! You'll find that you will have ups and downs but at the end of it all, you will have memories to cherish forever. Search for a mentor early. Find someone who can be your go-to and stick to them. Network! This is your time to begin growing your network and make lots of doors open.

0

Musaab’s Answer

0

Hi Kaesin,

What an exciting time for you! Remember that you got accepted at this school! They wanted you! Also, there are many more people who are just as nervous as you are!

College is a journey and its ok to be nervous and anxious. Just like any journey its going to have a lot of ups and downs, but those who are persistent and continue on despite the odds succeed!

Musaab

0

Leah’s Answer

0

Starting college can be a time of tremendous change, so it's natural to feel a little nervous. You might be living away from home, meeting entirely new groups of people, studying new subjects, and trying to figure out What You Want To Do With Your Life. Breathe. Take it one step at a time. There are people that want to help you--they may be college staff, your peers, community members, internet strangers (hi!). This is a time of exploration--personally, academically, professionally. Try new things, push your boundaries, meet new people, and know that you're not getting on a one-way train to your future. This is also a great time to learn some skills that will help for the rest of your life. Learn about personal finance and understand the loans you're taking out, learn about yourself and how you handle conflict and stress. Build yourself for the long haul. You're going to do great.

0