How do I get more looks on my job applications?

Asked Madison, Wisconsin

I’m a senior in college currently applying for for time employment post graduation. Many of my applications have been sent to companies online and I have not been getting any call backs. I’ve had my resume checked over and have been assured that it look good. I guess I’m trying to find other ways to get notice.
#resume #job-search #job-application #college

Benedick’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Life Hack: Set up informational interviews with someone in the group you are trying to apply for. Phone or in-person.

You will need to do some work for this, but no due diligence goes unrewarded as a good company & position would be more than willing to sit with you for one.

• Reach out to HR and ask if you can set up informational interviews with someone from the organization that is hiring for the role you are applying for. Get a name and email. Work Phone numbers are in a grey area as they may not answer.

Once informational interview is acquired:

Note* this is an interview,

• Bring your resume. Clean, no typos, concise, adverbs of deliverables/accomplishments.
  • Have questions prepared for what your experiences can contribute to in the role you're applying for.
  • Be yourself: polite, thankful, eager to learn, prepared.
  • Let them know you are applying for the role.

When closing on good terms and feeling the informational interview went well:

• Ask politely if the person you spoke with would be willing to help set up another informational interview with their next level of command, if they are not already the supervisor.
  • Leave your resume with them and a good lasting impression.

Most importantly:

• FOLLOW UP. Send the person a thank you note via email.
  • The body of this email should include :
  • 1. Thank you for interview.
  • 2. Interesting fact you learned within your interview. Shows you are listening and capable. Should be related to the work and how your experience relates to their work.
  • 3. Closing with thank you and mentioning the Interest in a follow up interview if they had agreed to help.

This has helped me get my resume circulated with more hands and allowed me to get my face and name noticed. There's always a higher chance when the ones hiring are, "hey, yeah you're the one from before!" rather than "hey whats your name?"

Sarah’s Answer

Good morning!  My husband was recently on the job hunt so I think I can give you some direction here.   In my 20 years of work experience I have found that yes of course your resume is important but it is more critical to have a warm intro into a job opportunity.   The key is knowing someone at that company and asking them to submit your resume for you internally as a referral.  These get priority plus your friend or family may even get a referral bonus.   Ask your friends, family, etc about job opportunities in their respective fields.   If you see an opportunity send your resume to your friend first and ask them to submit on your behalf.   I cannot say it enough... tell people you are seeking employment.   Set up coffee and lunch meetings with family and friends specifically around your job search.   Generally people want to help you and can be your eyes and ears.    Be selective.  Use this time as an interview on both sides of the table.  When you have been out of work it is easy to want to take the first opportunity.  Make sure what you accept is keeping you on your desired path and not away from it.

Mr. Ernst’s Answer

Updated Newark, New Jersey

Meghan C,

List your skills are you a leader, teamplayer or creative in intiating ideas well if so list them down.

There is really truly no perfect resume or cover letter because work experiences and past achievements do not tell the employers what kind of conduct you possess within yourself. Also every company seeks its own patterns within resumes. You not receiving any call backs is not necessarily a bad thing there are many organizations that are swamped in finding top of the line HRs, managers who can actually train and scheduling time for orientations and interviews before they can sit down and actually take time to review a prospect's resume. Last but not least many employers like to see current internships and volunteering specifically in a role that is related to the position you are applying for. Keep seeking and you will find. I wish you the best on your journey.

CARLOS’s Answer

Updated Lubbock, Texas

Hi, something that might help is to make sure you list any achievements you have acquire either through out school or at any job regardless of the type of work you have done in the past. This has given me results in the past because if I have anything that can set me apart from the competition, I'm going to make sure they know through my resume and even adding a cover letter.  Remember to show on your application what you can bring to the table and also make sure to set your self aside from all the other applicants, just remember never sell your self short but don't make promises you can deliver. Good Luck!!

Rachael’s Answer

I would suggest sending cover letters with your resume for applications. Cover letters enable you to further explain why you are a fit for the position and how the position will fit you. It gives the employer an opportunity to learn more about you and you an opportunity to further market yourself. An additional step would be reaching out to the employer with a thank you after interviewing.

Roy’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas
I have also been told to be mindful that your resume is not in a PDF version when uploading to online job sites. The tool being used to parse the resume will not be able to search the document like it can when it is in Word document format.