Common interview questions

Asked Lakeland, Florida

Brianna’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Depending on the type of role you are applying for the interview questions can differ. It is common for interviewers to ask behavioural type questions that start with "tell me about a time when..." and will have a follow up to gauge your leadership, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.

When answering these questions it is important to remember the STAR method.

1. Situation - Briefly describe the situation and the problem you were solving for
  2. Task - Explain what tasks were involved
  3. Action - List out the actions you took
  4. Resolution - What was the result/outcome of your actions

When responding to these questions, it is important to highlight what YOU did in the situation. While teamwork is important, when interviewees describe the tasks and actions generically it is hard to tell what role they played in the resolution. Remember, an interview is a chance to highlight your skills and qualifications and you are your number one advocate in this situation.

Aside from being prepared to answer these questions, I find it very impressive when the interviewee also comes prepared with thoughtful and unique questions for the interviewer.

Be original, authentic, and bring the best version of YOU to the table when interviewing!

Brianna recommends the following next steps:

• List the top 5 things you have accomplished that highlight the skills you want to portray in an interview
  • Practice answering behavioral type questions using those 5 examples under different types of questions to understand how to tailor and adjust your answer based on the question itself

Blake Ashley’s Answer

Hi David,

Common interview questions include "What is your greatest strength" and "what is your biggest weakness". For these, you want to mention things that you do well, and things that you recognize you need improvement on and the steps you are taking to work on it. You may also be asked what you like to do in your time outside of work, which I believe is one of the most important questions an interviewer will ask. People want to work with people that they like on a personal level, and this is a great time to show future employers that you are a well-rounded and well adjusted person.

Best,

Blake

Eric’s Answer

Updated Richmond, California

A common interview question usually in the beginning of the interview is "Tell me a little bit about yourself" I believe this is the most important question in an interview. Your answer should be honest and should relate to the job expectations. For example if you're interviewing for a job in Customer Service, then your answer to the first question should explain some of your social qualities....i.e. "I like to help people"...."I am a patient person"

Maricela’s Answer

Hi David

The company I work for has a great guide for interviewing. Below are a few common interview questions I have used from that guide while conducting an interview. These are also questions I have been asked while I am the one being interviewed for a job.

1. Tell me about yourself.
  2. What do you have to offer this job/organization?
  3. Why should I hire you?
  4. What is your greatest strength? How would you best apply this strength to a management position?

I encourage you to do some research on the job you are interviewing for. Knowing as much as you can about the job will let the interviewer know you are truly interested in the job.

I hope you find this helpful.

Maricela