Common interview questions

Asked Lakeland, Florida

Brianna’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Depending on the type of role you are applying for the interview questions can differ. It is common for interviewers to ask behavioural type questions that start with "tell me about a time when..." and will have a follow up to gauge your leadership, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.

When answering these questions it is important to remember the STAR method.

1. Situation - Briefly describe the situation and the problem you were solving for
  2. Task - Explain what tasks were involved
  3. Action - List out the actions you took
  4. Resolution - What was the result/outcome of your actions

When responding to these questions, it is important to highlight what YOU did in the situation. While teamwork is important, when interviewees describe the tasks and actions generically it is hard to tell what role they played in the resolution. Remember, an interview is a chance to highlight your skills and qualifications and you are your number one advocate in this situation.

Aside from being prepared to answer these questions, I find it very impressive when the interviewee also comes prepared with thoughtful and unique questions for the interviewer.

Be original, authentic, and bring the best version of YOU to the table when interviewing!

Brianna recommends the following next steps:

• List the top 5 things you have accomplished that highlight the skills you want to portray in an interview
  • Practice answering behavioral type questions using those 5 examples under different types of questions to understand how to tailor and adjust your answer based on the question itself

Blake Ashley’s Answer

Hi David,

Common interview questions include "What is your greatest strength" and "what is your biggest weakness". For these, you want to mention things that you do well, and things that you recognize you need improvement on and the steps you are taking to work on it. You may also be asked what you like to do in your time outside of work, which I believe is one of the most important questions an interviewer will ask. People want to work with people that they like on a personal level, and this is a great time to show future employers that you are a well-rounded and well adjusted person.

Best,

Blake

Maricela’s Answer

Hi David

The company I work for has a great guide for interviewing. Below are a few common interview questions I have used from that guide while conducting an interview. These are also questions I have been asked while I am the one being interviewed for a job.

1. Tell me about yourself.
  2. What do you have to offer this job/organization?
  3. Why should I hire you?
  4. What is your greatest strength? How would you best apply this strength to a management position?

I encourage you to do some research on the job you are interviewing for. Knowing as much as you can about the job will let the interviewer know you are truly interested in the job.

I hope you find this helpful.

Maricela

Alexandra’s Answer

Hi David,

Every employer is different but here are some common interview questions:

1. Tell us about a time you took on a challenge and how you managed it
  2. Why did you become interested in working for us?
  3. What are your strengths and weaknesses.
  4. Describe yourself with 3 words
  5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years
  6. How would you describe what you do to someone who has no experience in your field
  7. How do you respond under pressure?
  8. What do you like to do for fun?

Taylor’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hello,

1. This will depend on job you are interviewing for. Some common questions you may across would be: Can you tell me a little about yourself? How did you hear about the position? What do you know about the company? What are your greatest professional strengths? What do you consider to be your weaknesses? They may ask for examples of a time that you had to deal with a challenge and how you overcame that challenge, or a time you went above and beyond. Come prepared with examples and do you research on the company before you go in for you interview. I hope this was helpful!

Sanjay’s Answer

As other responders have stated, interview questions vary greatly by the role and the company with whom you are interviewing. Regardless, there are some common traits that most hiring managers would look for when interviewing any candidate and you should strive to portray these qualities throughout your interview. Remember, interviews are not perfect, but the interviewers are trying to get a sense of whether they could see you fitting in to their team and get a sense of what it may be like to work together.

When I have hired for any role, I have always looked for the following:

1. An ability to think on your feet -- many interviewers will ask candidates questions to get them to show how they can process new information and formulate a logical response. It's important to show that you can take information in and come up with reasonable ideas. Many of these questions have no right answer, but show that you can think quickly. The best tips here are to take some time to pause and consider the question and don't feel like there's a single answer that you must come up with.
  2. Communication skills -- nearly every job requires you to be able to communicate clearly and effectively. How you carry yourself and speak are very important. Take all steps to calm your nerves... one way I have done this in the past is consider the interview to be a learning experience for you. After all, it's just a conversation with another person.
  3. Structured thinking -- in addition to being able to think quickly, it's important to show a structured thought process. If you're asked to talk about a solution to a problem, clearly articulate the steps needed to get there. It's important to explain how you would solve the problem in a very specific set of steps as opposed to just jumping to the answer. Again, many times, the answer is not what matters, it's conveying how you think.
  4. Empathy -- at the most basic level, the success of workplace hinges on getting a group of individuals to work together. Having examples where you have been able to show empathy for others (in the workplace or simply in your personal life) give teams confidence that you will be able to fit in with a variety of people.
  5. Self-awareness -- nobody wants to hear that someone is good at everything and has no way to improve. That is not true of any human being. It's important to be able to speak about ways you plan on improving (on whatever dimension you identify) and how you see this company helping further that journey.

Much of the advice in prior answers about researching the job sector and preparing for the specific questions that may arise is spot on, but the traits above should permeate any role you pursue.

Sanjay recommends the following next steps:

• Practice interviews with family members or friends who have hired people in the past (practice makes perfect)
  • Research industry-specific interview practices

Eric’s Answer

Updated Richmond, California

A common interview question usually in the beginning of the interview is "Tell me a little bit about yourself" I believe this is the most important question in an interview. Your answer should be honest and should relate to the job expectations. For example if you're interviewing for a job in Customer Service, then your answer to the first question should explain some of your social qualities....i.e. "I like to help people"...."I am a patient person"

Dave’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

Interviewers can be pretty wide ranging when it comes to their questions. Some use the most formal of questions such as:

1. What experience do you have in the field you are applying for?
  2. Tell me about your last job and day to day schedule.

Some interviewers, such as myself like to try and make the candidate feel a bit more relaxed as this is a stressful time for the person. A stressed out person is less likely to answer precisely and honestly, which is not what you want. This is when I like to throw in questions such as:

1. Tell me about a time that you were extremely happy and what was it.
  2. What was your favorite breakfast cereal as a kid?

I hope some of these help you and good luck with your future endeavors!

Dave recommends the following next steps:

• Jot down notes on such subjects that might be asked like previous experience, and greatest strengths and weaknesses.
  • Take a deep breath and just relax. A lot of times, the interviewer is nervous too.