36
Asked 1251 views

What's the most important part of a resume?

Which aspect of my resume should I highlight or refer to in my cover letter to have the most impactful and effective application? #job-application #resume #job-search #interviews

Thank you comment icon Use adjectives to help your resume stand out from the rest. DON'T use overused words, like hardworking, detail-oriented, innovative, and creative. Instead, think of attention-grabbing words, such as energetic, robust, or imaginative Pro Professional

36

2

Charlotte,

In a good cover letter, you do not talk about your resume. Seriously! The cover letter (sorry, I had said resume - I meant cover letter!) is where you let them know that you understand what the company is all about, and, how it is that you will fit into that position.

A cover letter is a one-page, business letter. It has three sections, which, could, if necessary, be more than three paragraphs.

In Section one, you simply let them know what position you are applying for, and how you found out about it. If an employee recommended that you apply, you could mention that here. "When I spoke with Joe Smith, he thought I would be a good candidate for the position, and he recommended that I submit my resume."

In the third section, you ask for the interview. "Please find my resume enclosed. I look forward to meeting with you to further discuss my qualifications for the Project Manager position."

Section TWO requires a lot of work! Below is an example of one that I submitted to be a security officer at a museum. Here I was attempting to demonstrate that I understood a museum wants things handled discreetly. I got the interview.

"I recently retired from a rewarding career as a police officer at the San Antonio Airport, a specialized policing environment with a dual emphasis on both customer satisfaction and public safety. This experience has prepared me well for the unique role of Security and Public Safety Officer with the Witte Museum. I have handled a broad range of police service calls, including everything from disturbances to terroristic threats, and am skilled at de-escalating conflicts. I also served as a first responder to fire and medical emergencies. "

If there are special areas of concern that might cause them to want to overlook your application, try to address them in the cover letter, after selling yourself in section two.

Examples:

"I took a leave of absence from working to attend to family medical concerns, but they are no longer a factor." (I say this even if it is my own health, because I don't want them thinking I might have medical problems, even if I do!)

"Although I am currently employed, the position is temporary, and management encourages us to seek permanent employment."

"Being retired gives me greater latitude in employment choices, and, after looking at your website, I believe I would love working with you to help the youth of our city." (translated: you pay a lot less than I used to make, but, that's okay!)

Hope you find this useful!
Kim
2
1

Dana’s Answer

Keywords - When recruiting, I look for key words or phrases that match my job description. One trick I use when revising my own resume or helping others revise theirs is to look at job postings on LinkedIn, Monster.com, etc. to find the current use of terminology. When you list skills and technology, you should also describe how you use them. If you list yourself as bilingual, you should also state that you "provide customer service in both English and Spanish" or "Translated documents from English to Spanish". It's one thing to list that you know PhotoShop, but you also have to demonstrate how you use it. i.e., "Reformatted, resized and cleaned up images before publishing to product detail pages on website."
1
1

Jeni’s Answer

Hi Charlotte.

In this day and age, resume standards are changing. However, there’s one thing that has never changed though, and it’s the section that many employers view as the most important.

Most people may assume that the “experience” section of your resume is what employers are basing their final decisions on. However, for many, another section drives their interest. The “skills” section of a resume shines through with the greatest importance, according to many employers, for several reasons. Even if you don’t have the necessary experience an employer is looking for, you may still have the necessary skills, which suggests a potential for growth. This is common to see on younger candidates’ applications, who may have all the right skills but haven’t had an opportunity to utilize them yet.

Having an extensive Skills section will ensure that your resume isn’t thrown out by applicant tracking systems before a hiring manager even reads it. Once the hiring manager zeros in on these, you’ve sparked his or her interest. He or she will want to continue reading about you and next move to the experience section.

Note - not all skills should be professional. Soft skills are also of value. Examples include traits such as outside the box thinking, ability to follow-through, you're a critical thinker, you have integrity, etc.

Hope this helps! Jeni
1
1

Karina’s Answer

The part that includes details about your 'Experiences' (Professional experiences, Research experiences/projects, Academic projects, other projects).
This section is 50% or more of your 1 page resume.
1
0

Jackie’s Answer

The most important part of the cover letter is explaining why you feel you are fit for the job, and how their qualifications match yours. This is letter should compose information about who you are and your education levels, how you discovered the job, what qualifications you are inspired by, and what qualifications of experience you have to fit the role you are applying for.

After the cover letter will then attach your resume which should include your name and short biography, contact information, past job experience, skills and qualities, and your reference name and numbers.

If you don't have job experience because this is your first job or first full-time job out of college then I would fill in the blanks with information on the class courses you took. Showing a business or corporation job that you took finance, economics, accounting, etc., shows that you have the knowledge in those particular areas.

Hope this helped!
0
0

Alan’s Answer

If you want one thing to focus on in your cover letter: make sure it "scratches the itch." Concisely demonstrate that you understand what the company needs from of someone in that job, and that you can be the solution. Explain how your abilities will enable you to solve whatever challenges they are facing.

Obviously there are other elements to a cover letter beyond that. But in my experience, it's so rare that someone successfully does this while applying for an early-career position, that 9x/10 I would invite for an interview.
0
0

Franklin’s Answer

I would say your relative experience in the field you are applying for as well as your skills related to that field. Be able to set yourself apart by explaining these in your interview.
0
0

AFROJ’s Answer

This can have multiple important piece. I will share what I believe is important.

1. One of the most important features of your resume to a potential employer is your employment history. You want to show a track record of pertinent and reliable career experience. I have seen resume getting dropped during the screening phase if you have multiple hops without any proper justification.

2. Skill set - This is the reason someone will hire you for the position the request is opened for.

Do mentioned all the skills set- Automation ( Devops) Programming( phython ) ,networking ( Routing protocol, CCIE.. ) etc. Try to be specific as per the requirement.
0
0

Philippa’s Answer

Have a clearly written career narrative and make sure it aligns closely with the job your are applying for so that the recruiter can quickly see how your skills and experience match with the criteria they are looking for.
0
0

Chad’s Answer

Charlotte,

I would recommend a summary section at the top of your resume that very succinctly highlights your skills, knowledge and competencies. That - and your most recent title and experience - are what will catch you the eye of the reader and get them curious to want to know more. I would discourage you from cover letters if you are applying to larger corporations - as they will more than likely be team ill spent and not read by those reviewing your resume.
0
0

Bhanu’s Answer

A resume is used to express your interest and relevance for a job role. It is a first step towards getting selected and rejected for interview. Resume can be written for two types of people.
1. With past experience : If you have past experience in the domain, it makes a lot of difference. So past experience and skills are most important in this case
2. No past experience in the domain : The most important part in this case are the skills.
0
0

Dustin’s Answer

I would say that the most important part of your resume is tailoring your work experience descriptions to the job you are seeking. In other words, you should point out tasks that you were responsible for that may be similar to what you think would be the tasks and responsibilities for the desired job. This makes your work experience feel more relatable and applicable to the employer.
0
0

Michael Ivelin’s Answer

It will depend on what you need the resume for. If this would be your first professional job and you are applying out of school your resume would look a lot different than if you have multiple years of experience or no higher education.

Resume for first job out of school:
If you went to university right after high school, more than likely you would not have a whole bunch of relevant work experience. Therefore, your resume needs to focus on what you have accomplished while you were at school. As an employer, we look at the student's involvement in the university and not just their GPA. For example, if you are an accounting major studying to be a certified public accountant (CPA) I would expect for a student to be involved in Beta Alpha Psi (The International Honor Organization for Financial Information Students and Professionals), or NABA, or ALPHA,or other professional organizations. I would expect the student to not only be a member, but rather to be a leader in that professional organization. I would expect that as a student you are regularly volunteered at an organization in your community. These activities should all be captured in the resume. Also, I would not expect the resume to be more than a page long.

Resume for a job without having education:
The focus on this resume needs to be on the experience. For example, if you have worked as plumber for a few years, I would capture all of the work that I have done in the past and the various projects I have accomplished. I would also highlight any professional certifications that I have obtained a relevant seminars I have attended. If you are unsure of the format or how to write your resume, you can simple google what the profession and get sample resumes. I would suggest that you tailor the wording to reflect more closely what you have accomplished.
0
0

Fiona’s Answer

A resume is a promotion document for yourself.
Things to also note:
- consistency in the presentation is important
- it must be pleasant to read – sharp, not too cluttered, not too many words
- make sure to do a grammar check
- write short, succinct but useful descriptions
- what makes you stand out? work experience? volunteering experience? any language skills, other different skills that other people are unlikely to have?
0
0

Fiona’s Answer

Resumes must be short, concise, to the point. Do not exaggerate what you have done - go through the resume to ensure you would be able to, in an interview, discuss in detail every item or skill you have discussed therein. Have one or two things that make you stand out, for example, do you have any interests or skills that are different - language skills etc? Make sure it is clearly presented, not cluttered and easy on the eye. Your key skills and work experience is often very important.
0
0

Ragil’s Answer

Mainly the Resume should have below details

# Summary of your work experience,( that include duration and name of each organisation you worked & specific work you done there )
# Summary of your working skills
# Details of your education qualification ( that include both academic & skilled certifications )
# Your contact details - residential address,Mailing address , phone number and email id
# Your personal details - your interest and hobbies
0
0

Simeon’s Answer

There is a lot of talk around what the best resumes look like, but as long as you make sure your resume is clean and organized, that's the most amount of work you need to put into your resume. Everything else is about networking. Meet new people, reach out to old friends/contacts, and find out which jobs are looking to be filled. To be honest, if you are finding out about a job from a job board, it is often too late to actually apply as most positions are filled internally. Many groups have minimum interview requirements, so they follow the rules of posting a position and receiving resumes, but actually choose the candidate before the whole thing kicks off.
0
0