How can I complete medical school while working?

I want to be a doctor, but worry about the financial burden of undergraduate and medical school. I am an independent student financially supporting myself. I am looking for tips on how to find a job with flexible hours and navigating school requirements.

#doctor #medicine #premed #medschool -school

8

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Tess, it's very hard to work and attend medical school at the same time, in addition it is not advisable either. Medical school is very difficult and requires a lot of time commitment to only study, study and study! My siblings and myself also support our finances independently, however when my siblings began medical school they took out loans as many students do and that allowed them to be supported throughout school. If you can in college, save up money and talk with a financial adviser to make college cheaper but in medical school you are working to become a doctor and this is the time to solely focus on your studies.

0

There is no way to have a full time job during medical school. The only people I knew that had jobs were:

A CPA who did taxes during March and April but took the rest of the year to concentrate on studying
A PA who did a one or two weekend shifts per month.
A valet parking attendant who liked to combine his exercise -- running back and forth to cars -- with his job.

0

Karl B.’s Answer

Medical school is you job. As everyone has said, you will spend about of time studying and working with your student colleagues to build strong foundations for you to build on as you become a physician

0

Estelle’s Answer

You really cannot work a lot, because med school is so time consuming and often has an unpredictable schedule. Some med students in my class were able to do work-study. One of my classmates was a pharmacist, and he did some work on the side.
If you live frugally, paying back loans can be done quickly--I have many friends who paid off the loans within the first year of practice after residency.

0

Andy’s Answer

I suggest you talk with the financial aide departments of several possible schools you would be interested in attending. Depending on the school and your specific personal financial situation, there may be a variety of financial resources to help assist.

0

Consider a work-study program both in college and medical school.

Also, attending classes at a community college, choosing a state school, and applying to all scholarships available can minimize cost.

0

Kam’s Answer

Working and going to school simultaneously can be a chore! However, you must be disciplined and always keep your priorities straight. Work is crucial in order to gain capital and the money needed to simply survive. But, it's essential that you allow enough time for your studies in order to be successful. Good luck!

0

sarah’s Answer

Be motivated, GET ENOUGH SLEEP!!. remember why you are going into medicine when you get tired on those bad days.

0