How should I go about becoming a lawyer?

I am going into my senior year which leads to a lot of questions about my future such as where should I go to college? What am I going to study? What is my plan? #lawyer #college-major #law #college

Alexandra’s Answer

Hi Eliana,

I am so glad to hear you want to become a lawyer. Generally, in order to become a lawyer you need to the following:

1. Obtain a bachelor's degree from a 4-year college
  2. Take the LSAT test and apply to law school
  3. Attend and graduate law school (3 years for a full-time program)
  4. Pass the BAR exam in one or more states of your choice

Below is the official information on LSAT exam preparation:

https://www.lsac.org/lsat

Alexandra (Sasha)’s Answer

To become a lawyer and then to practice law, you need to attend law school to get a degree (JD) and then take the bar exam in the state where you plan to work to get a license to practice. In the meantime, any college and any major will do. You shouldn't focus on law school now. Focus on college. Choose a college that speaks to you and a major that excites you. Any major is fine if you plan to pursue law. You don't need to focus on something that you feel will be helpful. Enjoy your college years and pursue your curiousity. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Law school will teach you the skills you need to be a lawyer.