What major did you take in college to help?

1

I'm a high school student interested in being an obstetrician! I love being able to make people's lives brighten and to me that brightness for any expecting mother is being able to have their baby and hold him/her for the first time. I have a few distant family members in the field and hearing about what they do interested me! #obstetrician #doctor #obgyn #midwiving #midwive #nurse #nursing #medicine #healthcare

1

Kate’s Answer

0
You do not have to major in any specific area to become a doctor. As long as you fulfill the pre-med requirements (which vary depending on the medical school but usually include one year of biology with a lab, one year of chemistry with a lab, one year of organic chemistry with a lab, one year of physics with a lab and one year of math) you can major in anything you want - English, history, art, music, etc. In fact, it is a common misconception that medical schools prefer students who have majored in science - there is a big push to accept students who have majored in the humanities. The important thing is to get good grades, do summer internships in medical-related areas and show medical schools that you have a passion for your pursuits.
0