What companies or industries do you think I should target

8
8

Jacob’s Answer

1

Hi, Anaya,

I think the companies or industries that you should consider for an accounting career depend on your interests. The accounting field is incredibly broad and filled with terrific opportunities. I'll list a few questions to consider and add a couple of links to check out:

• Do you think you would prefer working in the accounting department of a company or would you prefer to work for a professional services firm (e.g. PwC, EY, Deloitte)?
  • What are your mid to long-term career goals? Do you think you want to stay in the accounting industry or do you want to move into a different role in the future?
  • Do you prefer a more established routine each day or would you rather work on several different clients throughout the year?
  • Would you rather work for a large, global company or a regional based firm?

I think you should let your own interests guide the industries/companies that you consider for employment. I'd recommend doing some networking and trying to get a better understanding for the different companies or industries that interest you.

I hope this helps - good luck!

1

Zoe’s Answer

1
Hi Anaya,

There are so many great companies to work for in the accounting and finance industry! As a current PwC professional, I would recommend our firm as well as the other three big fours and mid-tier firms too! Public Accounting firms are great places to get yourself jump started in accounting as you can gain so much exposure to all aspects of business and accounting. Public Accounting firms are also great places to expand your network and you'll be able to meet so many amazing and like-minded people!
1

Jack’s Answer

1

Hi Anaya,

Rather than targeting specific companies or industries early in your search for a career, I would suggest attending a career fair so that you can learn about multiple companies spanning a variety of industries. Career fairs are a great place to learn about opportunities and a great way to find a company that best fits you!

Good Luck!

1

Gulshan’s Answer

0

Go back to the age-old economic rule of demand and supply. Look for industries that are doing well and/or show promise or growth in the near-to-medium-term, and look for overlaps with your aptitude / interest / qualifications.

If you're not yet tied down to any specific qualifications, or are flexible and willing to change, that would open up the field a little more.

For upcoming industries, look for trends in technology sections in leading news outlets like the Times, WashPost, WSJ and CNN. For industry growth patterns and companies in those sectors, look at industry benchmark sources like Forrester and Gartner. Many of their publications may not be freely available but usually their content is syndicated out and made available by the companies that are highly ranked. Look here: #7f4ad827102c" target="_blank">https://www.forbes.com/sites/joresablount/2019/08/04/10-booming-industries-and-the-companies-innovating-them/#7f4ad827102c.

A slightly different approach is available here: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/technology-media-and-telecommunications/articles/technology-industry-outlook.html

At the end of the day, however, this should depend on what interests you, and what you believe you can pursue in a sustainable career over the next few decades.

Industries that are likely to grow in the next few years and decades include anything related to Artificial Intelligence (AI), Robotics Process Automation (RPA), IoT, Blockchain, Digitization.... something more out there but immense potential

Good suggestion - target industries that are growing and consistently hire in large numbers. For me - this is healthcare. When people think of healthcare they sometimes only think of doctors and nurses. But the industry needs every type of professional to help run their business - accountants, finance, IT, HR, etc. And this field will continue to grow for the foreseeable future because of the number of people who will age in to medicare, end of life care, and overall be in high need for services. Ryan Hayden
0

Molly’s Answer

0
My advice is to cast a large net and consider many different types of companies in your search. A great way to do this is through a career fair, where you can have short conversations with lots of different companies. You could also do research online to see which companies are in your area and what career opportunities they may have. A good place to start for a career in accounting or finance are the Big 4 firms since they cover mostly any professional service in the audit, tax, and consulting space. Doing some online research before asking questions at a career fair will also go a long way!
0

Yibin’s Answer

0
With an interest in accounting, business and finance, this could lead to many different careers. I will list you a few companies and sites you could look into to expand your knowledge on these topics. I myself work at a Big Four accounting firm.

Accounting:
If you were interested in accounting, I would definitely recommend you to look into the Big Four accounting firms, being PwC, Deloitte, EY, and KPMG. They are professional services firms with an emphasis on audit and tax, but they are also extremely strong in the field of consulting, each having their own consulting branch. However, they do not specialize in management consulting like McKinsey, Bain, and Boston Consulting.

Websites to look at: goingconcern.com

Finance:
If you were interested in finance, I would recommend you to look into investment banking, with companies like: Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclays Capital, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, JPMoraganChase, Morgan Stanley, UBS. These companies lead the investment banking field, and they compensate their employees handsomely; however, the working hours and environment are crazy.

Another field to look into is commercial banking, with companies like: Wells Fargo, JPMorganChase, Bank of America, Capital One, etc.

Websites to look at: wallstreetoasis.com

Business:
Business is a very general term, but business is closely correlated with management, and consulting is a field that is closely correlated with both business and management. Here are a few companies to look into: McKinsey, Bain&Company, Boston Consulting Group, Accenture, ATKearney, Roland Berger. These are consulting firms that not only specialize in management consulting, but also in many other fields of consulting.

All the companies that I have listed above are really good places to start you career; they are very big international companies with great recognition, the compensation is great, and if you were thinking of leaving any of these companies, you are more than likely to find yourself the job of your dreams. These companies are great places to stay, but also great platforms for you to find any other job you are interested in. The training at these companies are also exceptional, building your professional career to impressive heights.

Websites to look at salaries: glassdoor.com, indeed.com
0

Matthew’s Answer

0

I won't suggest a specific company, but I'll suggest ways to find what you're looking for!

Job boards can be a huge help when searching for the right position. I recommend downloading Indeed.com and Glassdoor. They're two sites that help narrow the scope of what suits you best and what you would enjoy.

Don't get too stuck on one industry, and always come with an open mind to new opportunities!

Matthew recommends the following next steps:

• Download Indeed and Glassdoor
0