Some tips on how to start a business. The answers provided already are very good I would consider all of their ideas in addition to this:
1. Spend some time thinking about the reasons you want to start a business, what motivates you, the ideas you have, and start organizing this information. Think about what your objectives are, and collect this as data that will be instrumental in writing a business plan. Identify your unique strengths, weaknesses and resources. Do not underestimate the importance of assembling a business plan!!! It should cover a complete spectrum of all aspects of a business that need to be addressed for success. Look for a template and go through the steps to pull it together. (look into a way to tap a “Business 101 for dummies” in book form, workshop or website)
2. Research and Reconnaissance are really important. Learn as much as you can about the industry/market you are interested in. Take every opportunity to look more deeply into the businesses and brands you admire, for inspiration.
3. Do your homework, by learning about the mechanics of starting a business- your state regulations, business filings, tax implications, funding options.
4. Find a way to test out your idea, like through surveys, interviews, product/service trials with people fitting your potential customer base.
5. Recruit a coach or mentor with experience who can advise you, provide feedback, help you network for resources.
6. Be prepared to be passionate about your new venture, and to work hard at making it a reality even when things get tough. Know that you will need to be resilient and keep a strong positive attitude.
7. Enjoy the process and the exciting learning experience you are launching by starting your own business!