What kinds of careers are there for people who like using they hands.

7

#construction #business. I like to put in work, and get recognized for my work.

7

Preston’s Answer

0
Hi Adan, I agree with the previous answers here: What do you like to do?

There are dozens of industries right now looking for people who enjoy doing physical work, and people who do it well (in my experience) get compensated and treated very well to do so.

Lately there's been a resurgence in technical schools that focus on teaching skills and knowledge necessary for these kinds of careers. General Contracting, Housing Development & Construction, Plumbing, Welding, Electrical Work, you name it.

Some personal examples:
1. A very good friend is a set designer for major productions, mostly concerts and theaters. When people need cool stage stuff built, he and his team get it done.
2. A younger cousin of mine is in welding school right now and loving it.
3. At a previous job I worked with various plumbing companies and learned a ton from talking to them. The profession can't hire folks fast enough.

I would start thinking about what you've done that you really enjoyed. I noticed you tagged construction AND business... so here's an extra quick story that might interest you:

At that previous job we lent our office space to plumbing companies for training sessions, and a plumber once told us this: He (the plumber) became a plumber because his father was one. When he was older and experienced, his father retired and left him the business. He is preparing to do the same, so now HIS son is in plumbing school and will inherit the family business. He was telling us how he was amazed to find out many technical training schools now even offer supplemental small business classes to teach plumbers, AC technicians, welders, carpenters, etc. the business-basics of running your own shop, so not only will they learn their craft, but they'll be equipped to run their small business, should they chose not work for a larger company.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Preston recommends the following next steps:

• I think finding a good technical school would be a step in the right direction. Research your options, learn about each one you find and what they offer. Many can also provide good help towards the cost of it.
  • If you've narrowed it down to one or a few industries already, google what local businesses are around that do that. See how open they are to having someone come learn about the craft. Schedule a little field trip to see things done in action.
0

Mallika’s Answer

0
I think you should start by thinking what do you enjoy doing the most? If you like to use your hands - are you creative? Have you ever tried creating art - it can be in so many forms, such as, glass painting, acrylic/canvas painting, ceramic/clay moulding and painting, creating glass moulds, typography, calligraphy, and the list is endless! The above activities are very much suited for people who are creative and love using their hands to create something new.
0

Yusra’s Answer

0
Hi Adan,

Great question - but I would say, think about careers in the medical field, dentistry, for example, is a popular one for those who love to work with their hands and people.
0

Jamie’s Answer

0
I recently built a house and found it fascinating all of the coordinating and skills our builder had. He worked with so many work groups and companies to build our house. I would look into contracting or project management with a builder. This would allow you to use your hands and fulfill your construction desire.
0

Cora’s Answer

0
Think about what you like to do. Do you like working with kids? Maybe a childcare facility. Are you an outdoors person? Maybe a construction worker, DOT, Police, etc. Or would you prefer to work with/without people? Those are things to consider when working with your hands.
0

zach’s Answer

0
There are many jobs that require using your hands vs a desk job. I see that you marked down #construction which obviously has you constantly working with your hands. Would you want to work on commercial projects or more on residential projects. Is there anyone that you can shadow to find out what you like?

If you learn the basic skills of construction, it will provide you opportunities to find some random jobs if you want to work for yourself. Learning the ropes of construction takes a while to perfect, but you'll have a rewarding benefit of seeing the final product come together
0

REED’s Answer

0
I've known some very successful business men that started their own landscaping businesses that loved working with their hands and working outside. As they got older and their businesses grew, they were able to seamlessly transition the work to other employees if they no longer wanted to be outside as much.
0