Shayla C.’s Avatar

Shayla C.

166

1

Why did you become an auditor?

I just heard about this job. I'm great with numbers, and do well in math class in high school, but this job sounds kind of boring.
Do you like your job as an auditor? Is it really as boring as it sounds staring at spreadsheets and numbers all day? I'd also like to hear why you chose to become an auditor.

Thank you! #business #finance #accounting #math #stem #auditing

Hi Shayla. I started my career in an audit function for Deloitte. Like many jobs it has its pros and cons, but, one of the main things that I enjoyed was that the position gave me the opportunity to learn about several different companies in a very short period of time. In addition, when I was in audit I was able to engage with staff throughout an organization from individual contributors as well as members of senior management/chief executives. Through the audit function you can learn about key processes within a company and identify recommendations that may help reduce risk, improve efficiency, etc. which are all helpful for later in your career. The skills I gained at Deloitte helped me when I was interviewing at Fannie Mae, and have continued to help prepare me for each of my subsequent roles at the company.

Last updated May 12 '16 at 19:22
Hi Shayla, To start, for your reference, I'm an auditor currently working at PwC. I would also like to say that Justin's comment on this post represents my thoughts on the benefits of the auditing profession exactly. I believe I can add to the answer and help clear some things up for you. I won't lie...there are a lot of spreadsheets. However, I don't find myself solving equations all that often. Instead, how I often explain my job to friends is "I'm basically a lawyer that uses numbers". In auditing, the majority of our work concerns areas of judgment: "How should we treat this adjustment?" "What risk should we give this test?" "Is this documentation appropriate evidence?" "Do we consider this to be significant?" If that seems interesting to you, you should take a much closer look at auditing. From my experience, while it can be a lot of numbers and spreadsheets, especially in the first few years of your career, it always has a ton of diversity. No two days are the same and I am always shocked by how much knowledge I have gained over the years.
Last updated Oct 31 '17 at 13:34

I became an auditor because of my strong interest in accounting throughout high school and university. I applied for a summer internship during my third year of university in audit to get an idea of what a career as an auditor would be like. I quickly found out that as an auditor, I was able to apply my technical knowledge of accounting, and professional skepticism while auditing a client's financial statements. As an auditor, each client you will work for is different, and you will be working on different tasks, thus your day to day work will be different (non-routine tasks). As an auditor, I believe there are many different learning opportunities from a technical standpoint, in addition to providing opportunities for client relationship development and could open doors for exploring other areas within accounting, finance and tax.

Last updated May 31 at 12:20

Hello Shayla!

I was an accounting major in college, I knew a number of professionals that had gone on and earned their CPA license which seemed to provide lots of different opportunities, and I found that attractive in a career. I originally planned to work in external audit, however, the opportunities I had led me to assisting with Internal Audit departments. I quickly learned that our role had little to do with crunching numbers in spreadsheets, rather we were responsible for monitoring the risks the business was facing through internal projects/control monitoring and testing. Overall, the career path has been different than what I expected, however, it has been very rewarding.

Last updated Mar 16 at 15:24

Hi Shayla,

Thanks for asking. I became an auditor because I wanted to have a career where I could utilize both my IT and Accounting skills. I also wanted to have a job where I could work within a team and meet and get to know new people. Auditing is a great career that has many different opportunities and with that you are constantly learning new things. If you do decide to become an auditor, I strongly suggest that you work for a firm where you can easily relate to or enjoy the people that are currently working there. All auditing jobs are fairly the same, but the people are what makes the experience unique!

Good Luck!

Kaley

Last updated Mar 16 at 15:45

Shayla, you should also keep in mind that there are many types of auditors: Internal Auditors and External Auditors Financial Auditors and IT Auditors. So you can really move around depending on your interests. I started out in Business IT when I got out of school, moved into pure IT, and then moved into IT Internal Audit. I found it very interesting and it gave me good insight into the company's processes and systems that has been very useful later, and help prepare me for each of my subsequent roles.

Best Wishes for Success!

Last updated May 13 '16 at 22:14

Shayla, I started out as an internal auditor when I graduated from college. It gave me a chance to learn about alot of different areas in the company, without locking myself into any one job. There are parts of the job that are boring, but overall it was a good experience

Last updated Nov 29 '16 at 15:22

Hi Shayla,

To answer your overall question, I became an auditor by somewhat of chance. I'm currently a Risk Assurance Associate at PwC, but during my college career I began with just a general idea of wanting to work in the business environment in some way. While taking my early business classes, I learned that accounting was something that I excelled in and enjoyed doing ,so I declared my major with a plan to work in the private sector as a cost accountant. However, I received the opportunity to intern with PwC my sophomore year and gained the opportunity to learn more about what auditing is, how it helps within the business community, and the value it provides to your professional development.

Do you like your job as an auditor?

Working in public accounting has been a rewarding experience and I do enjoy it. The amount of growth and knowledge you can gain from working in public accountant is really unparalleled. If you enjoy a good challenge, working in teams, and learning about many different types of industries, auditing could be an interest point for you to explore further.

Is it really as boring as it sounds staring at spreadsheets and numbers all day?

While there ARE alot of spreadsheets and numbers that you're working with, it often involves much more than that. Auditing involves client and team interaction, analytics, and good judgement. It isn't as monotonous as you might think that it is.

I hope this helps!

Last updated Mar 16 at 15:37

Hi Shayla,

Thanks so much for your question and there are a lot of really great answers here!

A wise colleague once said that auditing is like a puzzle: you start off with a lot of pieces, turning them over and building the foundation (the boring parts first). You don't always get what you're doing at the beginning, so you do the easier parts first like building the border. As you get more comfortable, you look for the patterns and then finally it makes more sense as you get towards the end.

What we're trying to say is that it's not as exciting at the beginning, but as you gain more experience and become more senior, your role changes to include managing people, building relationships with clients and understanding how businesses are operating.

Charlotte

Last updated May 31 at 15:10