Shayla C.

61

1

Why did you become an auditor?

I just heard about this job. I'm great with numbers, and do well in math class in high school, but this job sounds kind of boring.
Do you like your job as an auditor? Is it really as boring as it sounds staring at spreadsheets and numbers all day? I'd also like to hear why you chose to become an auditor.

Thank you! #business #finance #accounting #math #stem #auditing

Hi Shayla. I started my career in an audit function for Deloitte. Like many jobs it has its pros and cons, but, one of the main things that I enjoyed was that the position gave me the opportunity to learn about several different companies in a very short period of time. In addition, when I was in audit I was able to engage with staff throughout an organization from individual contributors as well as members of senior management/chief executives. Through the audit function you can learn about key processes within a company and identify recommendations that may help reduce risk, improve efficiency, etc. which are all helpful for later in your career. The skills I gained at Deloitte helped me when I was interviewing at Fannie Mae, and have continued to help prepare me for each of my subsequent roles at the company.

Last updated May 12 '16 at 19:22

Hi Shayla, To start, for your reference, I'm an auditor currently working at PwC. I would also like to say that Justin's comment on this post represents my thoughts on the benefits of the auditing profession exactly. I believe I can add to the answer and help clear some things up for you. I won't lie...there are a lot of spreadsheets. However, I don't find myself solving equations all that often. Instead, how I often explain my job to friends is "I'm basically a lawyer that uses numbers". In auditing, the majority of our work concerns areas of judgment: "How should we treat this adjustment?" "What risk should we give this test?" "Is this documentation appropriate evidence?" "Do we consider this to be significant?" If that seems interesting to you, you should take a much closer look at auditing. From my experience, while it can be a lot of numbers and spreadsheets, especially in the first few years of your career, it always has a ton of diversity. No two days are the same and I am always shocked by how much knowledge I have gained over the years.
Last updated Oct 31 '17 at 13:34

Shayla, you should also keep in mind that there are many types of auditors: Internal Auditors and External Auditors Financial Auditors and IT Auditors. So you can really move around depending on your interests. I started out in Business IT when I got out of school, moved into pure IT, and then moved into IT Internal Audit. I found it very interesting and it gave me good insight into the company's processes and systems that has been very useful later, and help prepare me for each of my subsequent roles.

Best Wishes for Success!

Last updated May 13 '16 at 22:14

Shayla, I started out as an internal auditor when I graduated from college. It gave me a chance to learn about alot of different areas in the company, without locking myself into any one job. There are parts of the job that are boring, but overall it was a good experience

Last updated Nov 29 '16 at 15:22

Schools Add a schools