How to earn while studying?

14

I am a student off accounting and finance. I belong to Tharparkar, a remote area of Pakistan. I am a scholarship holder at Sukkur IBA Univeristy. #finance #accounting #scholarship

14

Cristina’s Answer

1
Hi Tanveer! That is a great question. Throughout my time at University, I held various positions to earn some extra cash. Below is a list of some:
1.Academic tutoring: I found a tutoring company on campus that was seeking out tutors. Id recommend looking into tutoring services available on your campus and consider which subjects/courses you would be interested in tutoring. I also tutored through my university -- my university hired me to tutor and coach younger students in subjects I was strongest in. It was a great way to practice my leadership, coaching skills, and mentoring.
2. Virtual internships -- there are TONS of VIRTUAL internships always looking for students to help out. I found one on https://www.wayup.com/ but there are TONS of sites you can browse and apply to virtual internships for start-ups to established big businesses.
1

Cristina’s Answer

0
0

Jean’s Answer

0
Just as you, during my time in college I needed some income to cover my expenses.
Some options that worked for me:
1. Some schools offer scholarships (or pay your tuition) for being part of a school's sports team or musical ensemble. Check if your's is one and begin to practice for the next tryouts.
2. Academic tutoring is always an option. You can search for a tutoring company near you or maybe freelance. This way you will be able to practice skills and content from previous courses, help people in need and receive income for sharing your knowledge.
3. If you know more than one language another option is to offer translation services this can also be freelance or working for a company.

Hope this can help.
0

Dexter’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer,

When I was in college, I took on a side job unrelated to my degree because, well, I needed to send back money to my parents to make ends meet, and it was a job that I enjoyed doing. It ended up being my lifeline and led to the career I have now.

I worked a part time desktop support job for the last two years at UC Berkeley. I got the job because I was good with computers, and even though I had zero experience with Apple computers, they gave me the job because of my computer knowledge in Windows/Linux. I did well, and I was grateful for the job. When I graduated, I couldn't find a job in my specialization due to my bad GPA. So, I found a job in IT leveraging the experience I gained in my part time job. I went from helpdesk to desktop support to web development in a year, and 14.5 years later, I'm at the same company managing a team of web developers.

If you feel that your specialization field has plenty of opportunities, you should definitely get more experience in that area. If you're unsure, perhaps it'd be prudent to gain experience in a unrelated field, like me, just in case you have a hard time in your primary field.

I wish you the best of luck!

--
Dexter
0

Ramona’s Answer

0
Great question...Have you considered being an international tutor? Helping others in areas that you are proficient with is a good way to keep yourself proficient and an opportunity share your knowledge with others. There are quite a few resources I found online that you can apply to that are looking for individuals around the world. Good luck.
0

Eric’s Answer

0
For students, I think the simplest way would be to look for people to tutor in accounting. There are so many people who are terrified of debits and credits. This is also a good way to keep some of the fundamentals fresh.
0

Christina’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer- Similarly to some of the other individuals that have responded to your question, I served as an academic tutor while attaining my undergraduate degree. It was truly a rewarding experience that I believe greatly benefited myself in addition to the individual who I tutored. Of course, it was beneficial in that I was earning money for the hours I worked. Additionally, I feel as though it helped me academically. Teaching other is a great way to reinforce concepts that you have previously learned. Working through problems with the individuals that I tutored helped me strengthen my own skill set.
0

Paul’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer! The best thing you can do to earn a living while you pursue your education is to look for jobs related to your degree. So look for part time accounting and finance jobs in your area. It helps you build experience, and since you're studying it, you'll be very attractive to employers. And that may even help develop into a job when you've graduated.

0

Nick’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer! Great question and one that I'm sure many others in your position have. My suggestion is to pursue part time jobs in areas that interest you, whether that is accounting and finance or something completely unrelated. During my time in school, I worked at a regional accounting firm which gave me excellent practical experience in my chosen career field. However, I'm also passionate about cooking and food in general so I also worked a job at a family owned bakery one semester. Allowing yourself to develop a wide range of interesting skills will not only allow you to earn some money as you continue through school, but also make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers. So in short, find an opportunity that interests you whether it's related to accounting or not, and give it a shot! Good luck!
0

Allison’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer,

Great question!

A good place to begin would be looking for internships/jobs in your field of study. This way, you can start to gain "real world" experience and see what you might like to do in the future. Additionally, you can earn cash which you can use to pay for your school expenses or whatever you so choose. If you cannot find employment in your field of study, finding a job that would be flexible with your school schedule would be ideal.

Good luck in your future!

Alli Raddant
0

Camellia’s Answer

0
Hi Tanveer,

I am a huge fan of work-study, which usually is given to you as part of your financial aid application to the University.

For example, let us say you find out you are eligible for $3000 in work-study for that semester. You then go around campus finding jobs that "accept work-study." Once you find a job you work until you earn that $3000, but what is nice about it is that your employer doesn't technically pay you it comes as part of your aid package. Employers will tell you when you are about to run out of money. In college, my employer happened to accept non-work-study students as well so once I ran out of money, it wasn't a big deal and they let me continue to work there. I found work-study to be nice because it was convenient - you never have to leave campus for work, you can still work in your field (I was majoring in Accounting and worked in the Office of Accounting at my University), and you make connections with people within your University. Definitely worth looking into. But yes, I agree with the responses above - tutoring, or being a teachers assistant, or trying to find a internship are also great options.
0

Michelle’s Answer

0
Hi, Tanveer! While at university, I worked on campus to earn a little extra income. Here are some other earning strategies I've witnessed other students implement while at university:

(1) invest in stocks
(2) tutor
(3) revise school work (i.e. essays, projects, assignments, etc.)
(4) offer your skills as services to other students (i.e. cutting hair, cleaning apartment, etc.)
(5) work on campus
(6) pick up part time jobs

There are plenty of ways to make extra money while attending school. Reflect on your skills and get creative. Good luck :)
0