I am at the end of my junior year in high school right now. When do I need to know what I want to major in?

Updated Modesto, California

I currently am #undecided for my major but am leaning in some division of education - unsure of which part as of now. #college #college-major #college-bound #major

Arthur’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Hi Kristina, I assume you're asking about majoring in college! If that's the case, don't worry about it quite yet, unless you are planning on attending a college outside of the United States. Barring that, the standard for most colleges is you declare at the end of your sophomore year, allowing you nearly four full semesters to explore your interests before settling on a choice. Of course, it's a bit more nuanced than that. Sometimes, by choosing a college, you have already "declared" an area of study, even if you have not necessarily declared a specific major. For example, if you go to a tech or engineering school, more likely than not you will major in a tech-related field. That being said, with some exceptions, generally you can still major in non-technical fields even if you go to a tech college, and the general rule of formally declaring at the end of your sophomore year still applies. Sorry for the longish response to your answer. I hope it helped and best of luck!

Yvonne’s Answer

Hi Kristina,

It looks like you've already gotten some great advice from Arthur. From my experience, I'd say it's important to use the first year or so of college to explore what you'd like to major in. If you select electives that will count toward graduation requirements, you'll be able to use these classes to find out your strengths and interests, while not putting yourself at risk of delaying your graduation date. I also found it really helpful to join different volunteer organizations or student groups that aligned with career areas I was interested.

Plus! Don't forget to take advantage of career services your future college will offer! Many colleges will have guest speakers, mentor programs, and information sessions that will help you narrow down what you'd like to do. I'd also recommend meeting regularly with a guidance/student counselor. They are there to help make sure you are on track to graduate and can recommend courses for you to take to help you reach your goals.

If you're interested in majoring in education, you have a great pool of experts to talk to now - your teachers! You can talk to them about how they chose their specialty and they may have great advice for how you can determine yours.

Good luck! You're off to a great start with starting now to find out the best career fit for you!