Is Athletic Training the best major for college to obtain prerequisites for a Physical Therapy graduate degree?

I will be attending college in Fall 2016 for Athletic Training, and I am interested in finding out if this is the best direction to go to enter grad school in 2020. #physical-therapist #athletic-training #exercise-science #athletics #sports #physical #science #college

Daniel’s Answer

I am not in the field, but my daughter is in school for occupational therapy, which is a similar field. For OT and PT, as you need a graduate school degree to practice in the field, you are often better to go to college at a school that guarantees you access to the schools graduate program in OT or PT. It is a more direct route to finishing your degree, and can often save you time and money. Good luck!
My aunt used to live on Peach Street a couple of blocks behind the old Landis theater.

Dana’s Answer

Emani, It would definitely be helpful as you'll already have a solid base and understanding of the musculoskeletal system prior to school. Another area to consider is Kinesiology. If the athletic training program gives you the option to work as a student trainer, that would be great. You want to make yourself stand out as much as you can.

Vernon’s Answer

Oh yes! Sports medicine will be the conveyor belt to being a physical therapist. Indeed, you will begin doing PT on athletes as they heal and recover from injury. I did that in college and it was a terrific experience...especially since I ended up teaching anatomy in a medical school. Enjoy every minute.