what should i major in if i like math and science?

#majors #science#math

107

Dan’s Answer

There's a lot of good advice here, but I also encourage you to think about what you want to do for your career. It doesn't need to be a specific profession, but think about general topics. Would you prefer to work mostly alone or mostly in teams? Do you want to do a job where you work more hands-on (such as a research job), or a job where you are thinking more? Is there an industry that you want to work in or a problem you want to solve? You can use these to help guide your thinking.

7

Alfredo’s Answer

Hi Jeyashree,

You have multiple options, and should take time to explore and to try most of them. You have options such as majoring in math, computer science, engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, and medicine/pre-med to name a few. If you can, begin your university studies as an undeclared major, and you can always change it up in the end. In your first few semesters I would recommend taking classes that overlap between majors so that you can experience different things. Over time engage with professors, reach out to professionals, and work hard.

Thank you Alfredo! Jeyashree V.

6

Gizem’s Answer

Hi Jeyashree,

You have many options such as engineering, basic sciences, medical school, pharmacy school, computer science etc. Do you have any preferences in the sciences? It would be helpful to look into the curriculum of several majors to see which ones you like more. If possible, I would definitely recommend talking to people in different fields to learn more about their professions.
Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Thank you Gizem! Jeyashree V.

2

Laura’s Answer

Hi Jeyashree!

I believe a lot of universities allow (and encourage) students to take up double majors. This will give you more flexibility in choosing your major combinations, especially if you have a particular field in science that you are interested in. You can do biology and statistics or math and physics for example.

I would also recommend engineering. I believe majors such as chemical engineering and biomedical engineering would give you a good exposure on both math and science. Hope it helps!

Thank you laura! Jeyashree V.

2

Youssef’s Answer

You might want to try engineering or computer science majors. These rely on math and science as foundations and if you those fields already you'd be set up for success. Good luck.

Thank you Youssef! Jeyashree V.

1

Aditya’s Answer

Well there are tons of career options you could consider if you like Maths and Science... but before you decide, run a check what are you naturally better at --- what specific subjects or chapters within Maths and Science...

For example, if you like biology more, then you may want to look at human or plant or animal sciences, or consider being a Doctor as a profession.
If you like Accounting as a part within Maths, then you may want to consider being a Chartered Accountant. In case you like the generalist portions of Maths like Areas, Trignometery, Volume etc., things which have applications in Science (esp Physics), then Engineering could be an option for you.

So start by identifying what specific portions within a particular stream excite you and then try to build a thought process around your career choice.

1

Will’s Answer

Physics

thank you! Jeyashree V.

Hey Will, do you mind explaining why Physics would be a great major for this student and how he could make a career off of it? Gurpreet Lally

Jeyashree states that s/he likes maths and science. Mathematics is the language of physics. No other science has this exact structure. I would recommend treating a degree topic as an end in itself and not to worry so much about careers etc. I think if you do what you love, and work hard at it, you stand a good chance of succeeding, no matter what the topic. That said, the careers in science are reliably good: numerous, generally well paid and intellectually stimulating. Personally, as I progressed in my career, I have found that I prefer to be doing scienctific work that has real world impact, not just abstract theorising. Will Jones

1

Alycia’s Answer

If your prospective college has it, I highly recommend majoring in biomedical engineering! It examines the technological side of medicine (i.e. creating a caregiver robot that assists immobile patients). Any engineering major requires many math courses as well as biology and medicine courses! You can apply this degree in many careers too; I have a friend who is a pre-medical student majoring in this field and he absolutely loves it!

Even if biomedical engineering isn't for you, make sure you look through your school's undergraduate general catalogue to explore all the possible majors/minors for you. Good luck Jeyashree!

Thank you Alycia! Jeyashree V.

1

Steve’s Answer

Think about PRE-MED if your scores are high in math and science. This will serve you well as you apply to those types of colleges. Completing Pre-AP coursework in high school will help you as well. Be sure that you think through all the years of college (under-grad and Medical School) and then residency that you will need to complete.

Enjoy thinking through this opportunity.

0

Swathi’s Answer

Hi Jeyashree,

Mathematics and Science basics mark as a foundation to many vast topics to explore.
Within Science alone you have multiple fields available like Applied mathematical sciences / Aeronautics / Biology / Geophysics / Chemistry / Mechanics / Robotics / Geology / Genetics to name a few, for which you need to figure out what exactly you are passionate about.
Gives you the top level topics for you to look into -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branches_of_science
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics
Once you decide on the field, you can take up courses related to them.

Hope this helps!
All the best! :)

Swathi

0

Marie’s Answer

Hi Jeyashree!

I agree that there you have received a lot of good advice! I also liked Math and Science when I was in High School. What I realized was that what I liked about Math and Science was problem solving. If you think problem solving interests you, there are many careers outside of traditional science and engineering that you may enjoy. I would suggest that you think about what interests you outside of your schoolwork, and what careers align with those interests.
Good Luck!
Marie

0

Steve’s Answer

0