From my research, I find that most programmers nowadays use Java, Scala, and the C language. My question is how is Scala used/what is it used for?

I'm an Information Technology major who is working towards becoming a future web/mobile developer, and want to explore lesser known, but still useful programming languages, like Scala and Perl (not stated in my question, but I'm still eager to know). #software #mobile-applications #web-applications #cloud-computing #application-developer #cloud-applications

3

Frank’s Answer

Here at Chegg, we use a variety of languages depending on the application domain that we're working with. On the front-end, it's PHP. In the back-end, it tends to be Java. For Mobile Apps, Swift and Java. For testing, Python and Java. Lately, we've started looking at other languages like Scala and Go for the efficiencies and special purposes that they fulfill. You don't have to be an expert in all of these languages, it's more important to pick one or two that you really enjoy and become proficient (or at least comfortable) with them. To answer your question about Scala, it is based on the Functional Programming paradigm. This comes from a strong basis in Mathematics, where most operations are defined by functions. Originally, programming languages were imperative-based (used commands that operated on data), in recent decades evolved to object-oriented approaches, and most recently have become complemented with functional. For an overview of functional programming, check out the Wikipedia article on it. Scala has gained industrial traction at companies such as Twitter and LinkedIn, many others are content with Java or the others I mentioned. Hope this helps :-)

Thank you for your information, Mr. Lemmon. David L.

2

Matt’s Answer

I believe Scala is used a lot by companies that have a strong desire to embrace functional programming. I've seen it used a lot in real-time programming too. If I search on LinkedIn for jobs that requires Scala, it doesn't seem like most require it, it's just listed as an example modern programming language.

For example, here's from an Amazon Senion Software Development Engineer position:

> Strong architectural & system design skills in Java, C#, Scala, Python or other high-scale programming language

I don't know if you've ever heard the phrase, "when software companies grow up, they become Java shops." I used to think this was because Java was awesome, but it's often because there's a larger pool of Java developers than any other language. If you adopt Scala for your company, you might have a hard time finding good engineers.

0