What does it take to be on the marketing team on ESPN?

7

I am a college student interested in pursuing a career in marketing and I love sports! ESPN seems like it would be a great fit for me. Can somebody give some insights? I would love to hear from someone who works there! #college #sports #television #sports-marketing #espn #sport-network

7

Anna’s Answer

0
A friend of mine works in Marketing at ESPN and this is what she had to say:
"Exposing yourself to all different parts of athletics and business in general are what really impresses ESPN. When or if you get an interview or even an informational phone call with someone who works at the company, make sure you know what is going on in the industry (some basic things you could look into are customers and competitors for example. What segments of customers is ESPN going after? Who are their competitors? Have they acquired any businesses lately? You don't have to have a specific answer for these, but at least have some basic information and theories on where the industry is going). Just loving sports and knowing sports facts is not going to cut it."

My friend's prior work experiences were:
- an unpaid internship writing stories for a high school athletics department
- a paid job in the Athletics Department at our university helping the athletic trainers

These prior experiences, while not directly applicable to her current position, showed that she was really interested in sports and helped put her on the right track. Whatever work experience you can get, have an angle for what you want to get out of it and how the skills you will gain will help you get your foot in the door at your next job.
0