How to transition from a tax accountant to management consulting?

Updated New York, New York

I have worked as a tax preparer for 6 years at a small boutique accounting firm. My experience includes small business consultation from company registration to licensing to dissolution. I am currently obtaining my Masters in Finance and plan to sit for the CPA license. Any advise to make the transition would be greatly appreciated. #accounting #consulting #management-consulting #tax

Katie’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington
I've seen a lot of CPAs switch to management consulting, especially to the Finance practice within Management Consulting. While you're getting your masters, I'd recommend looking into consulting clubs on campus to expand your network and learn more core consulting skills. Also, tailor your resume to show how your experience is broader than just being in accounting. Good luck!

Shareen’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi! Looks like you've received many responses relating to the right courses to study. From a practical perspective, I would recommend that you speak with others in your firm, including those in management consulting roles, to see if a) the role / job description sparks your interest b) what technical expertise you need to have to transition c) build relationships within your firm and start to explore a path towards achieving your goal of transitioning into management consultant. Alternatively, if your firm does not allow for transitioning easily within groups, perhaps start to build relationships within management consulting firms through your networks as well as by attending industry events, and building your network so you are better placed for your transition.

Updated California, California
It depends on the consulting work you are looking to provide. With your background you are definitely suited to assist in Finance and Tax operations. That said, there are folks that become experts in the business/management/strategy consulting arena or tech consulting arena where you are able to help execute the transformation. I would encourage you to look at the job descriptions provided in these areas to help steer you towards the type of work you would like to be doing in the future.

Shante’s Answer

Updated Hartford, Connecticut

Viktoriya -

I don't think you will have much of a transition, being a mgmt consulting is vastily different, but you have an advantage as you are good on the financial side, you see the business is in a different view. Everyones experience is going to be different, I would keep an open mind to it. Goodluck!

Daryl’s Answer

Updated Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had a friend that went into consulting after 4 years of working in Finance with a larger firm. Suggest you find a mentor in the firm you are in and let them know you are interested in going into consulting.

Rose’s Answer

Updated Ashburn, Virginia

Immediately after business school is the best time to go into management consulting. Participate in any career services events you can find, as well as student consulting projects or business plan competitions, if you have an opportunity to do so. Look at tax advisory opportunities. If you can get into a major firm at a lower salary, do it. The name will carry you throughout your career, and you can always move to a regional or boutique firm later on. You may even want to open your own shop down the road.

Erica’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Viktoriya - While pursuing your Masters in Finance I would encourage you to sign up for any Consulting or Operations courses available through your institution. Your understanding of Finance and Accounting are critical areas of an organization, but you'll want to expand your knowledge base to understand other functions within a business, and how to transform them. I would also encourage you to connect with the Career Services office to get connected with consulting firms that recruit from your campus.

Last bit of advice I'll leave you with is to review Management Consulting job descriptions. This will help you understand the skill sets employers are looking for, and make clear connections from your 6+years of working experience. This exercise will build your case and confidence as a strong candidate for any management consulting positions. Hope this helps!