What is it like in today’s generation to be a criminal justice lawyer?

1

DENNIS’s Answer

Hi Nyasia: I am a "semi-retired" civil lawyer from NYC. I did some criminal defense work when I was first out of school but found it was nothing like the "Perry Mason" episodes I use to watch. Criminal justice is a tough practice. You, as a lawyer, often have to face some pretty ugly aspects of our society. It's tough not to let those things impact you along the way. Things you see, things you have to do to help a client, leave marks. Marks that often leave scars. So as you endeavor towards a career in criminal justice, remember, always be true to yourself and your core beliefs. If a client comes in who you feel is contrary to those beliefs - don't take the case. Fighting for true criminal justice is standing up for all people so that the laws are applied equally and fairly without regard to anything other than justice. Every person - even Presidents - should be held to the same standard. The laws should apply equally and blindly. So as you move forward, remember it's what is in your heart that is important.
1