As a chemical engineer, do you realize any notable differences in the work ethics of female chemical engineers and male engineers? If so, what are some notable differences? If not, what are the similarities?

I am a female high school graduate who is looking to pursue a lifelong career in Chemical engineering. What drove me to ask this question is the simple fact that quite a few people have asked me why do I want to be a chemical engineer considering that I am a female, and "females just don't fit in careers like that?" I feel like this question can help people realize that females can be just as productive and are just as deserving of recognition as males are. #career #science #work #engineering #women #chemical #equality #ethic

4

Hi Roosevon L.

So, just joined and great question. I am not a Chemical engineer, but would like to respond...

Females and males are equally skilled and gender is irreverent. Anyone challenging you on career fit because of your gender are very misguided and, without further context, sexist...

Thank you for your generous reply! & I agree with you. :) Gender is only a title. Roosevon L.

1

Ella’s Answer

As a female biomedical engineer, I absolutely do not think that I am less skilled or less able to be a successful, forward-thinking, high-achieving, engineer. I have dealt with professors and bosses who exert some slight sexism and my best advice is to stand up for yourself and your values if you are ever in a situation where someone is treating you unfairly. So overall, if you are interested in chemical engineering then you should not let your gender hold you back. The engineering industry needs people of all genders, ethnicities, personalities, backgrounds, etc.

0