Anik B.’s Avatar

Anik B.

136

2

Will the push for STEM education threaten the future of the arts and humanities?

Creative arts and entertainment, will it be taken over by STEM? #computer-science #computer-software #computer #money #artist #software-development #fine-art #data-science

Hi,

Not at all. A number of groups from the creative arts and entertainment sectors are a part of our Coalition. We always want to make the point that a policy focus on “STEM” isn’t really just about four rigid subjects, it’s about ensuring that students have the skills they need to succeed in the modern world. Arts and humanities are certainly a part of that equation.

Last updated Oct 28 '16 at 01:24 PM

Never ... you can actually accentuate your STEM background with minors in the arts & humanities.

Think of a web designer ... sure, a designer needs strong computer (STEM) skills, but if he/she is well-versed on the aesthetics of design which one would pick up in the arts & humanities world, a true impression can be made.

Think of Steve Jobs and the apple products. Per his biography, he had actually taken arts classes which influenced his desire for a clean design.

Last updated Oct 28 '16 at 04:08 PM

Hey Anik, Good question !!

I personally don't think STEM education threatens the future of arts and humanities. I am a Computer Science major and I have been taking Arts and Humanities classes my entire college year(2-years). Regardless of what we were majoring in, we were all obligated to take 30 credits of Arts and Humanities classes. I my self used to ask my advisors about why I was forced to take classes that are not related to my field of study and their answers were all the same. They say that we must have a little bit of everything. Now that I kind of think of it, they are right. A person should have a well rounded knowledge which obviously includes "Arts and Humanities". And this system they have going in lots of colleges will definetly keep "Arts and Humanities" alive.

Last updated Sep 28 at 05:58 AM