For any Computer Science graduate - What is the everyday life after work? Do most work at home or physically at a company? If a company, what do you work on daily as in can ya'll work independently or are there assignments/projects handed out?

I am in the top 1% in my class and I initially wanted to be an engineer, but that changed as i really loved coding in school. Writing codes and understanding them come easy to me and I really like the idea of a big open market in which a programmer can to gain attention from applications that benefit learning or creating a functional game. #computer-science #computer-software #computer #computer-games #marketing-communications

3

Leon’s Answer

There isn't one answer to this question. Every Company and Manager within the company can make there own policies if Human Resources agrees.

I have worked for three completely different companies in the last 14 years and I will describe the policies of each.

First, I worked for a company as a Configuration Management consultant. I lived in two different states and travelled every week to work in different states. All my travel expenses and meals were paid for but because I was a salaried employee and my monthly pay was the same no matter how many hours I worked. I will say that I learned more working for this company than the other two because I saw how other companies managed their business--good or bad. I wasn't in the home office very often.

Second, I worked for a company as a Release Engineer. I lived in one state and did not travel. Again I was a salaried employee so my monthly pay was the same no matter how many hours I worked but I had to pay for my meals. I worked at the company most of the time during working hours occasionally I would work from home using VPN when I had a doctor's appointment, etc. But I also worked from home using VPN after hours and on weekends when there was work that had to get done. This was not always the case with different Infrastructure Technology(IT) groups. Some groups had to work in the office all the time and some were able to work from home most of the time because of their Manager set the work policy.

Third, I worked for a company as a Release Engineer. I lived in one state and did not travel. This time I was paid by the hours worked not to exceed 8 hours per day. The Manager had to approve over time. Everyone had to work in the office accept the higher ups when they were working from home using VPN on special projects. There was no VPN connection that I could use when not in the office.

So you can see there was a lot of variations with these three companies/managers and I am sure there are more stories for all of the other companies you could work for.

I know I didn't answer all of your questions but I just tried to show you how many variables there are just to one of the questions.

Leon recommends the following next steps:

Research a company before you accept a position. When you have an interview with HR and the hiring Manager ask them the same questions.

0

Joanne’s Answer

It depends on the nature of the beast you work for.

I work in a large, settled company where we are a little slower to jump on the newer technologies.

I have friends that work in startups, and it's like the wild, wild west over there with the freedom and 'git-r-done' spirit.

Nowadays, kids will jump from job to job to find what they want - that may not be a bad option. Start somewhere .. gain some experience .. then keep seeking until you find what you love.

0