Daniella F.

426

6

When applying to universities, the people at admissions always enjoy reading unconventional essays. How does one know that what they are writing fits this criteria?

I've been watching many interviews and videos about how the people at the admissions department enjoy unique essays as well as students who believe their essays are what really helped them get into the university. How can you make sure that one is writing something on the flamboyant side? #college #university #college-admissions #college-bound #college-recruiting #university-applications #college-essay #university-recruiting

Hi, Daniella: having worked on admissions committees myself, I know that essays that are uniquely personal are the best. In other words, I never looked for an essay that was off beat or humorous or a little strange . . . I just wanted to hear something from the applicant that was true to the writer. There are essays that seem canned and somewhat fake . . . like "the time I volunteered at the soup kitchen and fed 100 people." Instead, I would rather hear about the time you "worked at the soup kitchen and really connected with one person in a significant way and gave me interesting details about your interaction with that person and how it affected you." The admissions person is trying to get a sense of who you are as a unique individual, so that's what I would suggest you concentrate on as you think about your application essay. Ask yourself this question: "Could my friend write this same essay?" If the answer is no, then you're on the right track. Best of luck.

Last updated Jan 28 '17 at 22:01

1 comment

Daniella, I'll offer you a different perspective. In a culture where everyone tries to be different, being who you are is already meeting the standard. Writing an essay that answers the question fully and thoroughly, that makes me care, as a reader, and that lets me feel your passion about a topic/idea/event are all great ways to stand out. There is Daniella-clone that is better than you. You are it. You define it. So, as someone who has been in your search and watched a lot of videos in a hope to get an inspiration, but really was procrastinating.... I would recommend you start brainstorming or writing. #collegeessays #essays
Last updated Oct 06 '17 at 14:09

Schools Add a schools