41
Asked 581 views

What is the first step to step out of my comfort zone?

I’m trying to learn new things but I’m not sure where to start off. I’ll take any tips. #finance

41

1

I'd say join the Toastmasters and get good at public speaking! It will serve you well, no matter what career field you choose!
1
1

Aeryn’s Answer

Brush up on your speaking skills. Join a Toastmasters club, call businesses on the phone frequently, learn a new concept and explain it to someone.
1
0

Jeff’s Answer

Consider viewing whatever you feel that is out of your comfort zone as a challenge and an opportunity for a new experience. Try to not be concerned with how you feel others will view you or perceive you. I was always shy, but as I have aged I have become much more confident in myself and less worried about what others think. This has helped me put myself out there more, ask questions, be more brave in social settings. Obviously more opportunities to get out of your comfort zone will help break down those artificial, mental barriers. Cheers
0
0

Veton’s Answer

Getting out of your comfort zone is a challenge however it is also the first step in seeing actual growth. In my career and personal life I have been in situations where the odds were against me. This was very challenging however it made me very uncomfortable. I would advise that you really take some time in creating a vision for yourself and for your future. I am not expecting you to have all the answers and know every step that you will take however I would start by designing in your head the life you want to live and possibly the career choices you would like to explore. Once you have a vision in a plan it is time to take the first step. You will realize that you will be doing things you've never done before and facing challenges along the way. These challenges will make you feel uncomfortable however you will learn and sometimes feel pain throughout the process. Once you feel this way just realize you got out of your comfort zone and are now growing. Good luck to you all the best.
0
0

Rahul’s Answer

Hi Aldo,

A good question. Comfort zones can be different things to different people. It largely depends on what you've been used to, both physically and mentally, in the past. A student interviewing for their first job may be way more daunting than a hiker climbing Everest.

What I would suggest is to start with smaller goals which will over time develop into larger ones. Some great ideas have already been suggested in this thread, but here are some of mine (apologies if you are doing these):
- Run a half marathon
- Sign up for a public speaking class
- Engage in a volunteering activity

All require focus but are rewarding in so many ways. They will allow you to build a new perspective in life and a set of skills which will serve you so well in future.

Things are always scarier than they actually seem.

Thanks,
Rahul
0
0

Sandrea’s Answer

I agree that "comfort zone" is subjective. Some people prefer to "rip the bandaid off" and jump right into the discomfort and lean into it, others prefer to start slow. Personally, I find that doing one thing out of your comfort zone or one thing that scares you each day is very helpful. You can also start by practicing with trusted friends or family and ask for feedback or advice.
0
0

Meggan’s Answer

A great way to challenge yourself and step out of your comfort zone is through training or taking new classes. Pick a topic that is unrelated to your major at school or totally different from your primary responsibilities in your job and push yourself to learn something new. If you fear giving presentations, sign up for a course and practice speaking in front of the class in a safe zone. Ask for feedback and take it to heart and keep trying. It will get easier and easier the more you do it.

If in doubt, take that risk and see where you end up!
0
0

Nicole’s Answer

Write a list of what your strengths and weaknesses are. From there, really evaluate what you are weak at, and list steps on how to strengthen those. It might be easy to point out weaknesses, but overcoming them requires you to get out of your comfort zone.
0
0

Justin’s Answer

I recently joined a new company and after 15 years at previous company and first step for me was to try and recreate what made me successful in previous company and have an open mind to learn new ways of doing things and begin forming new relationships before attempting to implement changes. Also to keep in mind that in a new company no one knows your previous weaknesses and can be easier to get out of comfort zones
0
0

Pro’s Answer

Skydiving? That would definitely be out of MY comfort zone!! I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to try that actually.

Maybe try learning something hard and complicated, like accounting, that you'll be proud of yourself for learning, and you can make a lot of money working in that field.
0
0

Brian’s Answer

Building confidence in yourself and not being afraid to fail. Nobody likes to fail, but once you change your mindset to think instead of failing, i just found a way that didn't work, you will become more comfortable in putting yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable is where you will grow the most and by forcing yourself to do it more often you will become more and more confident and will learn a tremendous amount. I hope this helps!
0
0

Pat’s Answer

Hi Aldo,

Its important to continuously seek new opportunities to broaden your horizons, either personally or professionally. It might be joining a seminar to learn more about a specific business function, or it could be joining a networking event to meet new people and learn about different industries/positions. It can also be something not even related to a career, like learning an instrument. Continuously challenging yourself and having discipline for your goals carries over into all aspects of your life and can help you excel in all facets.

Stepping out of your comfort zone in a big way or a small way is always progress nonetheless!
0
0

Lisa’s Answer

Great Question. We all feel uncomfortable at one time or another. There are many avenues you can use. Volunteer at a food bank or other event. You will meet people from different backgrounds and may find someone to network with. Ask questions. Don't ever stop doing that. The more questions you ask, the more you learn. Keep asking until you understand or have your answer. Good luck.
0
0

Nick’s Answer

I believe the first step out of a comfort zone is just making a move to be uncomfortable. I think that a lot of times you have to just jump head first into a new experience without over analyzing things. I think that when you think about making changes too long, you think about reasons not to move forward, so you just have to jump. Also take things one step at a time. Its easy to get overwhelmed, but if take it in small bites its much more manageable.
0
0

Jim’s Answer

Hello Aldo - great question and I see you received some good advice already in previous responses. Adding my own thoughts - I believe the first step is to be comfortable ... being uncomfortable. One way to do this is coming to the realization and acknowledging that everyone is human and we are all learning; daily. Everyone you meet who is an expert in their field or really good at something you want to try ... at some point had a first day doing it. That initial hurdle of starting something new gets a little shorter when you think differently.
0
0

Kyle’s Answer

Challenge yourself to proactively seek out opportunities to expand your comfort zone. Don't worry too much about what the result might ne when trying to tackle something for the first time, as the experience will always be worth it and will be educational.
0
0

Emily’s Answer

Great question! I found myself in this position as well when I was first starting out, and I would say the first thing is that when it comes to getting outside of your comfort zone, try not to overthink it before doing it. The hardest part is just doing it and experiencing it, and once you go through the motions, you can start to reflect and better your process moving forward. It's sometimes hard to relate to other people that you don't know, but we are all people just like you! Everyone gets uncomfortable, but pushing through it is super important because once the experience is there, the next time you step out of your comfort zone, it will already be easier. Good luck!
0
0