What are the best ways to get noted and recognized by professors?
I'm going to start college this year and I wonder about the best ways to get noticed and build report with the faculty and potential recruiters or interviewers for college jobs and internships? What are things to do and things to avoid? #college #job-search #leadership #college-bound #college-jobs #recruitment
Things to Do:
1. Attend Class and follow the Syllabus (seriously, this is the 80% you must do)! The other 20%: Ask questions, engage in discussions, drop in during Prof's posted office hours
Bonus Points to Do and get noticed: Review publications by that Professor. You will learn much about their approach to the subject matter - will give you an edge that others don't have.
Things to Avoid:
1. Arrive late or miss class; incomplete, late assignments (they don't have to be perfect...turn them in on time; or if you need more time, go to Prof's posted office hours and request extension).
As far as recruiters and interviewers for college jobs/internships - stay in close touch with the administrative staff in your department (i.e. if you're going to study English, be sure you drop by the English department offices once in awhile). They will likely have all sorts of good stuff posted on bulletin boards in the administrative area.
I sincerely believe that showing up and following the syllabus will guarantee you great success and enjoyment. :)
The best way to get noticed by a professor is marketing. What image do you want to have come to mind when they see you or hear your name. Often it is actions you need to focus on, whether that is a show of effort by meeting them during office hours, a show of focus by sitting in the front of the class not in the back or by volunteering time to help others who struggle with the subject in hand and mentioning during it during class. Another alternative is to have others speak about you on your behalf perhaps a peer of theirs with whom you have a good relationship from a separate class.
My son just graduated from college and he succeeded by getting to know all of his professors and teaching assistants. You'd be surprised by how many students don't drop into a professor's open hours. Go even when you don't need extra help. Join clubs and groups that interest you, personally or based on your academic objectives and you will be pleasantly surprised how these opportunities offer you other avenues such as internships, research opportunities etc. You have to be willing to put yourself 'out there'. Good luck!
When in doubt, go up on the first day or first office hour and introduce yourself. Depending on the circumstances, have a conversation with them about your and your goals and about themselves. People like people who show genuine interest and share about themselves, so I'd say follow all the other advice in the answers here as well as add this small tip to your arsenal.
Best of luck!
I would like to echo the above! On top of that, if you meet a professor that really inspires you, a lot of times they present their own research during lectures so you can go up to them after class and tell them you are interested in any of their current research, they might need some additional help (eg data collection/organising) and this way you might be able to actually work together!
Other initiatives that they are often involved in from which you could benefit:
- mentoring programs
- lectures at events from certain associations
(you can find out on their social media (LinkedIn) which associations they are connected too and follow their program)
Hope this helps!