What is the best job for someone who is thinking about going to college for a business and communications major?

I've already had quite a bit of programs that I've been a part of that helps me with my public speaking and getting what I want to say out to the people I want to. I always thought about majoring in this subject because I thought it was nice to have people hear what I have to say. So what is the ideal occupation for me? #business #career #college #college-major #communication #business-communications

5

Lupita’s Answer

One role that I haven't seen mentioned is internal communications. This is a niche part of the communications industry, and I find that most internal communications professionals I know never had that as their "Dream job" and instead "stumbled" into it, but absolutely love it.

Internal communications is focused on communicating business strategy, mission, news and updates to their employees. In this role, you get to partner with executives a lot, which is a really exciting part of the role. You get to understand how they think about business strategy and make decisions for the company. You also get to see the impact of your communications first-hand with your fellow employees.

If you are passionate about creating experiences for people, enjoy coaching people, and working with executives excites you, then internal communications is a good option to consider.

0

Dorcas’s Answer

Hello Kaitlyn, that's great you're building the foundation for public speaking. Practice makes perfect!

There's a lot more to consider when choosing an occupation, here are 3 questions to start:
1. What message do you want to convey to others? E.g. Is it sharing an opinion you have about something? Helping others to communicate on their behalf?
2. What do you enjoy about public speaking and communications? What do you want to showcase to others?
3. Is the occupation aligned to my lifestyle and preferences? E.g. does it require long hours or frequent travel, do I need to interact with many persons for my work

There's a wide range of occupations that require communications.. be it from journalism, human resources, public/media relations, marketing, finance, content creation, and so much more.

When there's an opportunity for you to volunteer or do an internship that has public speaking, that would help you hone your skill and give you a sense of where you can apply your strengths.

0

Colleen’s Answer

Hello Kaitlyn, adding to Dorca's answer. She brings up some great points to think about. Some of the occupations where you can use this skill set include teaching - being a professor: journalism - a reporter or broadcaster are just two that come to mind.
Start with a topic you are passionate about, learn as much as you can about the subject. From there, you can start a podcast, this will give you experience and a feeling of the work involved in getting your message out. When you talk about your speech/podcast, always talk in terms of the transformation, change, or outcomes. People want to understand how they can benefit from your knowledge. Maybe it is just for entertainment?
I have followed podcast series that are on a topic that interests me and were surprisingly good. Always keep the audience wanting more. I have heard many of these that were created by students. Its a great way to get experience along the way.
The fields of marketing and training are two areas in the corporate world where public speaking is important in your job. Good luck!

0

Sneh’s Answer

hello Kaitlyn since you enjoy this field you will Excell I know.

These are some of the best jobs when you major in communication
Business reporter.
Marketing coordinator.
Copywriter.
Brand strategist.
Social media manager.
Managing editor

And these when you do business as, major
Marketing management
Sales Management
Actuary
Financial Analyst

0

Scott’s Answer

Hi Kaitlen - this is a great question. Pursuing both business and communications majors (or some major/minor combination of each degree) will make you well suited for a variety of career paths. I apologize in-advance for over-simplifying these descriptions, but here are a few areas to think about:

Product Marketing: People in this role work closely with product managers and engineers to understand the business value proposition of a new product or feature . They use their communications skills to describe the benefits of the new product/feature in ways that will distinguish it from the competition and resonate with customers. Great product marketing helps drive successful launches, positive brand value, and revenue.

Corporate/Program Marketing: Marketers in this role are generally responsible for increasing overall company and product awareness and driving customers to the company's website, physical stores, or to "contact sales" if applicable. They own multi-faceted advertising budgets that include online/social/print/broadcast/radio spending depending on the business, as well as trade events, and other customer-facing initiatives. Public Relations (see next) sometimes rolls up under the Corporate Marketing department as well.

Public Relations: This is a rapidly evolving space, particularly in the tech sector. PR professionals work with business leaders to bring attention to company events, initiatives, and new products, in print, broadcast, online and social media outlets. They also frequently work with industry analysts to position the business as a thought leader in its industry.

Sales: Don't discount a career in sales. The old image of the smooth-talking sales person is becoming a thing of the past. Top sales professionals today work hard to understand the underlying needs of their customers and position the right solutions for addressing those needs. This often involves coordinating multiple resources to help the customer, including product management, sales engineering, and technical support. It is very much a consultative and collaborative process that starts with establishing a relationship of trust with the customer. Top sales professionals build long term, loyal customer relationships and are worth their weight in gold. (They are also handsomely compensated.)

Technical Writer: A common gap in many business is in the area of technical writing. Tech writers work with product managers and engineerings to understand how a product works, how to use all of its features, how to get started, frequently asked questions, typical tech support questions, etc. They then take these learnings and produce user-manuals, product specifications documents, and technical support guides. Good tech writing is often the difference between a smooth product launch and one that stumbles out of the gate.

These are just a few of the options to consider, and every potential employer will treat them slightly differently depending on the particular needs of the business and the market in which they compete. Keep polishing those communications skills and good luck!

0