What are some tips on studying?

I'm a 9th grader and have a hard time not getting distracted while I'm studying.
studying-tips time-management school studying

5
Pros
5
0

Nandita’s Answer

One of my favorite ways to study is by using the Pomodoro method - this method is one where you study for 25 minutes with no distractions and then get a 5 minute break before continuing. Typically, repeating this cycle 4 times is helpful because you then have completed 2 hours which is 1 hour and 40 minutes of work and 20 minutes of breaks. This makes me feel really productive and I get a lot more studying done this way than I normally do, so I definitely recommend it!
0

Emmy’s Answer

Hi Yessica,

Staying focused can be hard even for professionals in work environments outside of being students. It is good to identify ways to help you improve your focus when you need to, and that is a skill you will be able to use in your future, too.

One method is to set aside any distractions in another part of the room or in a totally separate room. For example, putting aside phones, game systems, or other distractions so they are not within reach while you are working. Then set a timer for say 30 minutes. Work for 30 minutes without reaching for your distraction. When the timer goes off, give yourself a 5 minute break to do anything of your choosing - whether it's 5 minutes of movement such as walking stairs or checking your phone. Then put it down after the 5 minute timer goes off and set your work timer again. There are free timers online for this type of timing called either Productivity Timers or Pomodoro Timers.

Another suggestion is to keep a to do list. You can keep a to do list of important tasks you need to accomplish. Put them in order of importance or flag the ones that are most important. Go after the hardest ones first, ones that is accomplished you will be able to get after the quicker ones more easily. Keep a separate list of things to do so that while you are in your focused work time write down anything that pops into your mind, such as sending an email, checking in with a friend, doing a specific chore. That way you have written it down so you can keep your focus on your important task and save those thoughts to accomplish in your break times. It also helps you to not break to do that task immediately so you don't forget since you wrote it down to remember.

Emmy
0

Sophia’s Answer

Hi Yessica, great question!!

A habit that really helps me to this day to avoid distraction is staying off of my phone and even keeping the phone out of my sight unless I really need to be close to my phone (expecting a text from a family member, communicating for a group project, etc.) Putting your phone away helps you resist checking your phone, and stay focused.

It also really helps go into your study session with a to-do list so you have a clear idea of what assignments/projects you want to work on and complete, and study that day. With the to-do list, you can focus on what you're going to first focus on, group assignments for the same class together, and know your agenda for the day! Not only will making a list help you stay organized and on top of assignments, but it will also hopefully motivate you to continue crossing tasks off the list when you have finished the assignment! Something that may be motivating to remember is the sooner you focus, the sooner you can finish your homework and move on to another task until you're done!
0

lauren’s Answer

I think some good studying techniques is sectioning the information by chapter or subject and creating note cards for definitions and terms! If the material is more situational I great tip is to do some practice problems. Reading and highlighting can be affective for targeting key information, and then writing down the highlighted terms can help you memorize the information. Just remember to take breaks and not to stress!
0

Armand’s Answer

Hi Yessica, we all get distracted sometimes (or maybe often!), when we have important tasks or assignments to complete. It's human nature. Some of the best ways to stay focused and avoid distractions might depend on you and your environment. Staying organized is important when you have a lot of assignments and readings to complete, so ensuring you prioritize your study assignments (which is due immediately or that you need to tackle first) can make you feel less overwhelmed and productive, by completing tasks one by one, which might help you stay motivated and less distracted.

Environment: Some like to use music in the background to focus, while others might prefer a quiet room or library. Regardless, I'd silence any unnecessary noises such as your phone/email alerts which can easily derail and distract.

Take breaks: Studying isn't about completing all of your readings/projects, etc. all at once. Taking short breaks after you complete an assignment helps refresh your brain and reenergize to tackle your next assignment ---just make sure you don't take too many breaks to disrupt your rhythm and focus. Hope this helps! Good luck!

0