What is the most exciting part of being an architect?

I am very interested in becoming an architect and I want to know what part of a project is the most fun or exciting. Is it designing the general layout of the building or designing the interior? Where do you think you make the most impact in the design of a building? #architecture #interior-design #interior-architecture #information-architecture

W.’s Answer

It's nowhere near as exciting as you think it'll be, or as Zaha Hadid and Bjarke Ingels make it out to be. It's also not as fun as it is in school, you'll spend most of your days just staring at a computer. If you're interested in architecture for the creativity and freedom, just know that you'll only have that when you're in school. That being said I had alot of fun working for Shigeru Ban even though it was 15 hr days. There was more creativity and freedom in his projects because Shigeru Ban is a brand so the clients are more likely to do what he suggests rather than the other way around... and the other way around is how it usually is.

My favorite part of architecture (in the real world) is probably the very beginning, schematic design and working out a general massing, plan and material ideas.

Sorry if I burst your bubble.

Kelly M.’s Answer

For me, the most exciting thing about being an Architect is solving problems with my creativity and turning those ideas in my head into a 3 dimensional built object that many people will experience.

Deborah’s Answer

Architects and planners are called to pay closer attention to local knowledge and preferences, and consider ways in which their efforts and designs can support the creation of authentic, meaningful places for people to use and enjoy. Beyond the limited goal of making “bold” and “innovative” aesthetic expressions, good design can help us achieve solutions to many of today’s major urban issues, from environmental destruction to economic decline to social alienation. How we image the life of a building and the life of the people that will use it, drives the best design for that area. The result will succeed for many years to come.